Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Updating Dropbox Programme (Windows 10)

Explorer | Level 3

I'm running Dropbox 69.4.102 on W10 (latest). The popup Dropbox from the Taskbar has had the message "You're using an old version of Dropbox. Please update within the next 15 days to continue using Dropbox". It's been like this for several days (but of course the number of days has been counting down).

I’ve been using Dropbox for several years with no problems and updating on a regular basis.

After I download the Update Dropbox installer file I've tried to run this in a number of ways including running as Administrator, exiting Dropbox but am unable to (apparently) update Dropbox. I'm unable to determine what Dropbox Process I should see running in Task Manager for an update. There're no error messages of any sort either.

What am I doing wrong? Where can I find useful Dropbox help? If I uninstall Dropbox will I lose my (rather complicated) setup array of folders spread across my hard drives? Will I effectively have to remove all my cloud folders and files and start again. I've over 40,000 photos and videos alone that when I set up years ago it took days to settle down!

Life (for me) is too busy at the moment to spend hours potentially having to undertake experimenting and rebuilding!

Thanks in anticipation that someone can give me an easy route to sort it all out!

Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: Updating Dropbox Programme (Windows 10)

Super User II

Can you try downloading the full offline version of Dropbox from https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-77-4-131/td-p/355557 please?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Mark but it didn't work. I tried several times: once with Dropbox running and secondly after a reboot and using Exit from the taskbar icon to exit DB before executing the offline installer. At least the "execution spinner" revolved for a few seconds but still nothing installed. I'm wary at the moment of uninstalling the app for the time it might take to set it all up again - and also of course wondering what might remain in the Registry to screw it all up! I will now see whether Support can help. 

However if there're further ideas you might post I'd appreciate it. If support can fix it then I'll return here to update you and the community. 

I have 14 days left!

Dropboxer

Hey there @John1948

I just wanted to let you know that I was able to locate your communication that you have with a member of my team and have made sure to pass your comments along to them. 

As soon as they have more info on the matter, they'll get back to you with the next relevant steps.

Thanks in advance for your patience and cooperation! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Lusil

I have indeed heard from Harry but his suggestion hasn't worked. I've replied in detail to him and am now awaiting his next idea(s).

Having uninstalled DB I am now concerned though that I don't have any (real time) backup at all on my PC and in the event of a failure none of my data files are up to date. 

Here's hoping all will resolve the problem with Harry.

Explorer | Level 3

I still have a Dropbox (DB) problem!

HOWEVER the initial problem was caused by myself in two ways - and I have written my apology to Harry but I'd like to point out what I did wrong in the hopes that it'll help others.

I have been using most successfully DB for some years now. It chugs away in the background storing my photos and documents safely in the cloud.

Because of the limitations of DB (at the time of originally setting up) I used a programme called Boxifier as well. Brilliant!

However there's a check box in Boxifier which needed checking because (I suspect) DB was being updated and Boxifier developers needed a little extra time to develop a patch. Boxifier then sent out an OK to update so uncheck, update, re-check.

In the last couple of weeks I was receiving a DB message demanding I update it but I forgot about the Boxifier check box! 

Via the DB Community and DB support (also Boxifier support) I managed to totally mess up my DB installation - including my DB setup Preferences. (Reminder: don't forget your programme settings! Five years later you might need them again if you've been advised to uninstall/reinstall to fix a problem!)

My issue now is DB/Boxifier seems to work. However startup takes at least 5-10 minutes, then indexing/syncing of >280,000 files appears to take 30-40 minutes when suddenly DB stops.

Hopefully this will never happen to other users of DB (and Boxifier) because you've remembered/stored your original Preferences, check box management and the like.

I'm hoping Harry and other DB support team members will dig me out of my hole and it'll all tick away in the background for the next 5 years.

Oh - and finally. It would be good if developers raised a failure flag on a user's screen when an expected outcome (like install) fails. Just to let the Microsoft "spinner" spin for 3 seconds and then evaporate isn't helpful. A message from DB like "an application Boxifier(?) is preventing DB from updating" isn't beyond the wit of man!

Collaborator | Level 9

Hello John,

@John1948 wrote:

My issue now is DB/Boxifier seems to work. However startup takes at least 5-10 minutes, then indexing/syncing of >280,000 files appears to take 30-40 minutes when suddenly DB stops.

Hopefully this will never happen to other users of DB (and Boxifier) because you've remembered/stored your original Preferences, check box management and the like.

We've just released an update to Boxifier (version 1.7) which contains improvements, so please go to the website and install the latest version.

Moreover, we're soon launching an update to Boxifier where blocking of Dropbox updates will be made visible to the user and will give the option to disable/enable that feature on the spot.

If you or anyone reading this message needs any help with Boxifier or Dropbox, please feel free to contact us: team@boxifier.com

Thanks,
Razvan from Boxifier

Explorer | Level 3

"Moreover, we're soon launching an update to Boxifier where blocking of Dropbox updates will be made visible to the user and will give the option to disable/enable that feature on the spot." 

Yeah! Coul've done with that 5 days ago. Probably would've saved all the pain I've got now!

Thanks.

Installation and Desktop App Issues

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Updating Dropbox Programme (Windows 10)
7 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post