cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox keeps asking me to install Word even though it’s already installed.

Dropbox keeps asking me to install Word even though it’s already installed.

ben_galaxy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

All of a sudden Dropbox tells me to install Word when I try to open my Word document in Dropbox for iPad. I already have Word installed! The only options I have are to tap “Install” (which takes me to the App Store, where Word has already been installed) or “Not Now”, in which case it just takes me back to the main menu. How do I get Dropbox to understand that Word is already installed?

44 Replies 44

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @ben_galaxy & @J_nelly_5!

Could you send me a few screenshots with the message you receive from Dropbox, when you try to open your files? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ben_galaxy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Megan,

Sure thing, here ya go:

iPad OS version: 16.3.1

Dropbox iPad app version: 320.3.2

I'll post a screenshot the next time it happens.

Thank you!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @ben_galaxy, aside from the official Word app, or do you also have the Microsoft 365 app installed, which is a separate app on its own?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

ben_galaxy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Jay, no I don't have the separate Microsoft 365 app installed currently. Should I install that? The Dropbox app is sending me to the specific Word app on the App Store when it asks me to install, not the 365 app.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

So, this isn't a consistent behavior, right? @ben_galaxy 

You could try to install Microsoft 365, just to check if you notice a difference on your end.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

SandyWilson
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I’m having this problem. It is impossible to open a Word document stored on Dropbox because Dropbox thinks I need to install Word on my iPad. Word is, and has always been installed.

I’m worried about rebooting Dropbox in case I lose files. 

MarianneR
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same problem.  I logged out and logged back in and at least it stopped prompting me to install word which is already installed, but now when I try to edit, it says the file is read only.  I remember now I had clicked on something in the PC version of the file that I thought would make it such that I’d have to enter a password when trying to edit it on a mobile device, but instead it locked the file.  Couldn’t figure out how to unlock it on the PC, so I copied the info and pasted it into a new file, so now I can edit the new file from a mobile device.  But, dropbox mobile has been very glitchy today forcing me to sign off and back on several times to get rid of the prompts to install word when I already have it.

Patrais
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

It is not possible to open a document in Excel or Word from Dropbox in my iPad or iphone, as I always have done, to be able to edit. When it should be opened, it says that I should download the app, but both apps are already there so I cannot do anything from that point on. I tried to delete Word and Excel to upload again but it happens always the same.

Anyone with the same problem? What can I do? Everything worked perfectly until today.

Thank you!

Zekeriya
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

me to!

It is not possible to open a document in Excel or Word from Dropbox in my iPad or iphone, as I always have done, to be able to edit. When it should be opened, it says that I should download the app, but both apps are already there so I cannot do anything from that point on. I tried to delete Word and Excel to upload again but it happens always the same.

Anyone with the same problem? What can I do? Everything worked perfectly until today.

Thank you!

Zekeriya
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you!

Need more support?