cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox keeps asking me to install Word even though it’s already installed.

Dropbox keeps asking me to install Word even though it’s already installed.

ben_galaxy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

All of a sudden Dropbox tells me to install Word when I try to open my Word document in Dropbox for iPad. I already have Word installed! The only options I have are to tap “Install” (which takes me to the App Store, where Word has already been installed) or “Not Now”, in which case it just takes me back to the main menu. How do I get Dropbox to understand that Word is already installed?

44 Replies 44

Anne waddington
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Mine is fixed as well. Thanks to the crew at drop box for addressing the issue!

JohnKMcHenry
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

I just wanted to give you feedback on this issue.
The Excel app issue is fixed for me as well - Dropbox now opens Excel files properly.

However, if a user only has the Microsoft 365 Office unified app (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) installed and not the separate Excel app, it doesn’t open the unified app.

I would say this ticket is closed related to Excel.

A big thank you to the DB team and community members/moderators.

Regards,
Karl

ben_galaxy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you all for your help in this! I'll let you know if it crops up again.

mooerss
New member | Level 2

Was this ever resolved for Android?  See a lot of talk about apple but no android. I have the exact same problem.  MS Office 365 installed on android and every time I try to open an encrypted document on DB I get errmsg "file type not supported, couldn't download file. Please try opening in a open in another " and the option to "open with", I click the "Open With" button and select Open with "Microsoft  Word" and the next screen I see is I have to install Microsoft Office Word.  

I already have MS office 365 installed.  I have uninstalled ms office and drop obox and reinstalled both on. problem still there

tia, steve 

Mark
Super User II

Hi @mooerss 

What versions are installed? Of Dropbox and Android.

Its important to remember that Office 365 is not Word - the Word that its looking for. Its a totally separate program that contains all of them. There are still quite a few issues across all apps of software not detecting this correct. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?