cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Need clarification on an email about moving Google docs

Need clarification on an email about moving Google docs

dimitrievenflow
Helpful | Level 6

Clarification needed on this obscure message, which directs to this help page: 

How to move Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides

https://help.dropbox.com/integrations/move-google-docs#FAQ

Which starts by stating: 

This article is for Dropbox users who have Google files in their Dropbox accounts. If you’ve received an email asking you to configure your preferences for migration, then this article is for you.

We do not have google files on our dropbox. We simply open existing dropbox files (.xls in particular) in Google Sheets to allow collaborative editing. 

Could admins please confirm that the removal of this functionality does not require any action on our part, in this case? 

It would also be great to know why this is happening, after what was apparently a heroic effort to enable it in the first place? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dimitrievenflow, thanks for reaching out to us.

To clarify this message, as the article states "If your team has created any Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides on dropbox.com, they’ll need to choose whether to move their files to Google Drive or convert them to the Microsoft Office equivalents".

So, basically, this refers to Google Docs, Sheets and Slides, not the MS Office files you have in your account.

If you have any Google Docs, Sheets and Slides and don't take any action, they will automatically be converted to Office formats.

I hope this helps, but if you have more questions, let us know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dimitrievenflow, thanks for reaching out to us.

To clarify this message, as the article states "If your team has created any Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides on dropbox.com, they’ll need to choose whether to move their files to Google Drive or convert them to the Microsoft Office equivalents".

So, basically, this refers to Google Docs, Sheets and Slides, not the MS Office files you have in your account.

If you have any Google Docs, Sheets and Slides and don't take any action, they will automatically be converted to Office formats.

I hope this helps, but if you have more questions, let us know.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

dimitrievenflow
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Hannah, 

Thanks for the prompt reply. 

So it simply means that we will not have the option to "open in Google sheets" anymore, right?

Could you clarify the rationale for rolling back this functionality? I (and I assume others) have grown rather fond of it!  

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey Dimitri,

Indeed, you’ll no longer be able to open Office files in Google Drive in Dropbox.

If you had Google files, you would be able to move them to Google Drive, where they'd be replaced in Dropbox with shortcuts.

Unfortunately, we can't speak for our Product teams on partnerships, but we appreciate your feedback and I'll make sure it's passed along to our team.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Lymesmith
New member | Level 2

I use this function a million times a day.  I agree with @dimitrievenflow, it's a very annoying change and I would like to know why this function is being deleted? 

Need more support?