cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't open files in Excel from iPad Dropbox app

iOS Dropbox app won’t acknowledge Microsoft Word app

LRBH
Explorer | Level 4

I’m on Dropbox version 274.2 and Microsoft Word version 2.60. Today I started having an issue where trying to open a Word doc in my Dropbox app prompts me to install Word, despite the app being installed and up to date. If I tap through, Dropbox then sits waiting for Word to download, and never opens the document. 
58E7F58B-F3E9-4ADD-8A7D-830E46D09A57.jpeg

56 Replies 56

LRBH
Explorer | Level 4
I'm having this problem too - thought it was solved, then next time I tried to use it the app was broken again. 😕 I think it is a bug caused by the new update. For now I'll try following the full uninstall instructions Jennifer provided.

LRBH
Explorer | Level 4

No good - Dropbox is now refusing to acknowledge the Office app even right after a full reinstall. I can open my Dropbox files from inside the Office app, but not in Dropbox itself. Which is frustrating, because it means I can't use the "most recent" tab to quickly pick up where I left off.

I think I'm just going to have to wait for a bug fix. 🙁

MooseAI
Explorer | Level 4
It’s not a huge problem for me; reinstalling Dropbox each time is just annoying. Having to press the screen a few more times tells me just how lazy I am lol

I’ll just wait for an update to fix it hopefully

allenng
Explorer | Level 4

Hi All,

after update of new IOS on my iPad i can't seems to open up files from Dropbox to Excel. 
Dropbox app keep asking me to download the Excel app but i already have it. 

Please advise

Elixir
Super User

Can you please try installing Microsoft unified Office App https://aka.ms/OfficeAppiOS? Note that now Microsoft has a unified office app (along with individual Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote apps), which can be used to view/edit all supported office files. Then reinstall the Dropbox app as well.

allenng
Explorer | Level 4

Done what you mentioned, but it still ask me to download Excel app. 

allenng
Explorer | Level 4

I uninstall the excel app and reinstall it. Now it works. I have the All i one app but it doesn’t open the file to that app 

Gazlaz
Explorer | Level 4

Everything has worked as it should until recently. Now when I try to open an excel file in My Dropbox on iPhone I get a message saying I need to install excel.

I’ve tried reinstalling both apps (Dropbox and excel) and that resolves the issue until I try again a day later and I get the same issue again.

Anyone else seen a similar issue before?

Thanks

Zoltan
Helpful | Level 5
Same problem with both excel and words. They need to fix that quick, can not use Dropbox without those 2

mduck314
New member | Level 2

Having the same issue after the last IOS update. I did all the above. Does not work. Keeps asking me to download Excel but it is already installed 😞

Need more support?