cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Protect sheets and ranges" options are missing from .gsheet created within Dropbox

"Protect sheets and ranges" options are missing from .gsheet created within Dropbox

ckfaber
Helpful | Level 5

My team uses a shared Dropbox, and we'd like to be able to collaborate on a google sheet in real-time. I made a google sheet following the instructions here: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/third-party/create-google-docs

And it works, mostly - except, a few features are missing that are very important, particularly, the ability to protect/lock previous entries. This is essential to ensure we keep accurate records that are not mistakenly over-written over time. 

Anyone else have a similar issue or know of a solution? 

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hey @ckfaber, thanks for using Dropbox and posting on our Community!

Since you're storing those files in your Dropbox account, the edits you apply to the file will be saved in our servers.

This means that you'll be able to restore a previous version, if needed, as outlined here.

I hope this helps a tad!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

ckfaber
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately that is not going to be a workable solution for us - we need data entered at the completion of a study to be immutable, and only allow new rows to be entered. Chasing previous versions will cause problems if one day, someone is entering new data but accidentally also deletes or changes previous data. Restoring to the old version will preserve the old data but lose the new data. The option to protect sheets/ranges is available by default in Google Sheets normally, but for some reason, is lost when integrated with Dropbox. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @ckfaber, we appreciate the feedback on this matter. If you wish, you can suggest this change for others to vote on, so the dev team can look into this in future.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    ckfaber Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?