cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup plan

bzp85
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

What’s the difference between the Dropbox Plus plan and the Dropbox backup plan ? The backup plan is about half the price.
I can’t find any information about this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @bzp85!

The Backup plan has all the features the basic plan provides. You can still connect up to three devices, and one of them can have the computer backup feature enabled.

The content you want to back up does not count towards the basic plan's 2 GB of storage space.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@bzp85 wrote:
What’s the difference between the Dropbox Plus plan and the Dropbox backup plan ?

Where do you see a plan named the Backup plan? The plans available are typically Basic (Free), Plus, Family, Professional and the various levels of the Business plan.

bzp85
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @bzp85, I'd be happy to answer this one for you! 

The Dropbox Backup plan is a paid subscription that provides all the space that you need for automatic cloud backups of one computer.

It also includes 30 days of file version history, including Dropbox Rewind, and all the features of the Dropbox Basic plan.

To learn more about the Dropbox Backup plan, see the following link:  https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/plans-upgrades/dropbox-backup-plan

If you have any questions, let me know. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

bzp85
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thanks for your reply @Megan.
So compared to the Plus plan it works only on one computer ? Does this also count for the features from the Basic plan or only for the backup function?

So let’s say I want to sync documents (fitting within the basic plan quota) between multiple computers and want to backup a folder with photos (1 Tb) on one computer. I could work with the Backup plan, or do I still need the plus plan because of the syncing ability of multiple computers for the documents?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @bzp85!

The Backup plan has all the features the basic plan provides. You can still connect up to three devices, and one of them can have the computer backup feature enabled.

The content you want to back up does not count towards the basic plan's 2 GB of storage space.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

davebeller
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi - I just discovered Dropbox Backup and I'm still not clear on what it is and how it differs from other plans. First, when you compare all Dropbox plans, Backup isn't an option. Why not? I had to use that link in this thread to find it. Also, aren't all of Dropbox's plans more or less 'backup' plans? I'm also not clear on its unlimited space. For $60/year, I can have unlimited space in Dropbox Backup but for $150/year, I cap out at 5 TB with the Standard plan. Huh? Why would anyone use these other plans? What am I missing here? Thanks!!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@davebeller 

The simple point here is that they are not comparable - Backup is exactly that. It takes a snapshot of files and folders at set times and backs them up. You cannot then 'do things' with them like you can on normal plans (i.e. you cannot get links, edit, move them around etc.). They become almost an 'image' within Dropbox of the files and folders at that time.

I suppose its competitors would be things like BackBlaze and Carbonite.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

davebeller
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Ah...that helps. Actually, a backup (like Backblaze) is what I'm kinda looking for, however, it would be great to send links to others. We definitely would not need to edit or move files around online. Basically, I need to backup about 25 TB (and growing) of media (photos, videos, some of which are massive R3D files) and be able to view online and send links to our partners. Nothing more. What might you recommend? 

The data is on an external drive and I currently use Box.com for backup and sharing but syncing an external drive with them is tricky. I have to use a third party program, which I'm liking less and less each day. Further, I'm limited with uploading large files. My current plan, anything larger than 15 GB is split up. Maddening. 

I was speaking to an audio engineer last night who easily does all of this with a Dropbox account of some sort. I wanna say he uses the Backup one but I might be wrong. 

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

davebeller Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    bzp85 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?