cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account email inaccessible, can't get security code

Account email inaccessible, can't get security code

spacefield
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, 

I have a dropbox account and the original owner of the domain used with my email passed away. Domain no longer has an mx record tied to a productivity suite and is under ownership of a new owner. They are not able to create a custom alias or address as the domain is used for hosted wordpress. 

The problem I have is not being able to receive the six digit code login to the email address associated with my dropbox account. What can I do to get signed into dropbox so I can download a copy of my files? Thank you. 

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @spacefield, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Do you have any device currently connected to your Dropbox account, such as a computer of mobile device?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

spacefield
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, Jay!

I have no devices attached to the account. At the time I was using dropbox, there was no requirement for a phone number or 2FA as I recall. My last login to the dropbox account was 2017. Since then I have upgraded from a PC to Mac and also changed cell phone carrier/phone number. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @spacefield, do you see any error messages when you try to sign into your Dropbox account?

I am asking, because usually Dropbox deletes inactive accounts, and you mentioned that the last time you accessed the account was back in 2017. 

If there's no activity on your Dropbox account for an extended period of time, we will notify you—or the account owner—in an email. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

spacefield
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan, when I sign on to the account with the username and password that I recall, the following appears. I don't think my account is deactivated. It wants me to enter the code to continue. 

spacefield_0-1669861955564.png

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi @spacefield, apologies for jumping in. 

In this case, I’d like you to open a support ticket, so that we can investigate this further and see what other options there may be. You can follow these steps to open a ticket: 

1. Make sure that you are NOT signed in to ANY Dropbox account in your internet browser.

2. Go to this page https://www.dropbox.com/support/sign-in-issues, and click on the “Can’t sign in?” option. 

3. Scroll down the page to “Submit a Help Request”.

4. Enter your information, make sure that you enter an email address that you currently have access to, and submit it. 

5. You will then receive a confirmation email that will have a ticket number. 

Once you have a confirmation email with a ticket number, please forward it to us here and we’ll take it from there.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    spacefield Explorer | Level 3
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?