cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Admin Console Questions

Admin Console Questions

dtivel
Explorer | Level 4

In Admin Console, under Members, I see "People with your team's email domain" and "People your team works with".  Both of these areas show lists of people who are either no longer with my company or we no longer work with them.  I can't seem to figure out what is causing users to show up in these areas.  How do I track this down and remove these users so that they no longer show up.

Thank you

8 Replies 8

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Welcome to our Community, @dtivel!

Are the users you mention members on your Business team? 

If yes, then you can delete them with these steps or convert their Dropbox accounts to personal ones by following these steps.

Let me know if you need further help, though.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dtivel
Explorer | Level 4

The user are on an Advanced Business account.

In Members area, I have one user showing up "Review 1 person that is using your team’s email domain".  I click Review, and it shows an old member's email, asking me if I would like to invite this user.  I don't even want this user to show up. 

The user has been gone from my organization for years.  She doesn't show up in members, deleted members, or suspended members.  What is the DropBox process that keeps this member showing up under "Review 1 person that is using your team’s email domain"?

Thank you,
Dennis

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dtivel, when you visit this page, do you see any added domains for your Business team? 

What about account capture? Is it enabled for you? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

dtivel
Explorer | Level 4

No, there are no added domains for my business team.  The user who shows up under "Review 1 person that is using your team’s email domain" is a user that was in my domain.  The user had his own M365 mailbox.  When he left the company, that mailbox was migrated to a shared mailbox so that we are able to check his mailbox for new emails from time to time.  The user, if they ever had a dropbox account, doesn't even show up in Deleted accounts.  They just show up under "Review 1 person that is using your team’s email domain", waiting for me to invite them.  Just wondering what I need to do to get Dropbox to forget this user.

I would add that no Domain has been set up under Settings / Domains, and from what I can see, account capture has also not been set up.  I have these Settings / Membership approval settings set.

Members can invite people to the team On

Only members you select can invite people (selected, no active member list supplied)

Who can be invited? Only people with my domain can be invited (selected)

Coworkers can ask to join your team (off)

Let me know when invited people join the team (on)

Reminders for requests to join the team (on)

Thank you,

Dennis

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dtivel, if you're getting this message, it could mean that there is a Dropbox account under that email address, and one that isn't on your team, hence the request to invite them to the team.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

owladmin
Helpful | Level 6

I have this same exact issue.  My dropbox admin console is showing 33 people who are using my team's email domain, but the fact is, most of them aren't and haven't been for a very long time.  The other disturbing thing is that none of them should have access to our dropbox account so I'd like to disassociate these users from our account entirely.  is there no way to tell Dropbox not to recognize these folks as people who should be invited to collaborate?  I don't know how Dropbox gets this information in the first place, but the admin console should allow us to edit that information as needed for security.  

To illustrate further - one of the addresses that continuously shows up in this list is a former business associate that was terminated in 2015, before we even switched from BOX to Dropbox.  Another is a former associate that was terminated in 2020 for legal issues and we'd prefer not to have that person's name anywhere near us or our operations.  Still another is someone who has not worked with us since 2014, etc.  They no longer hold email addresses at our domain.

We are not even sharing folders with these people so I don't understand why Dropbox is suggesting that we invite them to join our team. 

Mark
Super User II

@owladmin wrote:

We are not even sharing folders with these people so I don't understand why Dropbox is suggesting that we invite them to join our team. 

This is a total guess here but I assume that the people have had a Dropbox account under that email and its POSSIBLY still active. Remember the email account itself doesnt need to be active for the Dropbox account to work - there are loads of people who have old accounts on here who havent updated emails. 

They could have signed up for an account before you, as a company, moved over. 

A simple way to test would be to get IT to recreate one of the emails, use www.dropbox.com/forgot to get a log on password and log in and see what is there. 

Another potential thought is that Dropbox seems to never actually delete an unused account. It removes the DATA after 12 months, but, as you can (again) see on the forums people can then reactivate the account by logging in after that period - account is then 'empty' but they dont need to sign up. So, I wonder (again, this is just my thoughts knowing some of the intricacies of Dropbox), if they have had accounts in the past and just stopped using them rather than actively deleted them - that could be the case for those you dismissed? 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

owladmin
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks Mark - I think this is indeed what has happened.  Unfortunately there are 33 such accounts, that used to exist and no longer do.  After re-creating four of the emails, using password recovery to log in and delete the dropbox accounts (some of which had access to proprietary information that we really should have total control over), I've now run into a never-ending "Too many incorrect attempts. Please try again in a few minutes" error message when trying to recover the remaining passwords.  Waited an hour, still getting the error message.  Tried it from a different network, different browsers, different machine - no dice. It seems this endeavor could take weeks if i can only recover a couple of passwords at a time before the system locks me out.  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

owladmin Helpful | Level 6
    Mark Super User II
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    dtivel Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?