cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access email to get 6-digit code

Can't access email to get 6-digit code

Keyonkk
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I can login successfully,  but needs me to check 6-digit code in email.

Before immigration, login dropbox never needs me to check 6-digit code in email.

After immigration, it needs me to check 6-digit code in email. (same computer)

My email account was disabled (long time no use and I forgot the password), I can't login to my email to check the 6-digit code.

I only want to login Dropbox without check email 6-digit code, so what can I do?

Thanks

407 Replies 407

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @hyeontaekim, welcome to our Community! 

You mentioned that you need to connect to an older account, but you don't receive the security email, since you don't have access to the email address. 

Without access to the email address linked to the Dropbox account, there's not much that we can do, I'm afraid. Is it possible that you have any devices, linked to that old Dropbox account of yours?

I'd also suggest that you reach out to your email provider, to see if they can re-create that email for you.

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TeeSki
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have 2 dropbox accounts – one is strictly personal and the other is used for not for profit work.

I have two main devices – a laptop and a large desktop computer that I access these accounts on. I have been having a lot of trouble with Dropbox not syncing properly (and I think there were some issues with Dropbox not working properly with Macs) and more recently not being able to access one or the other on either device which means I can only use the desktop app for one account and have to sign in on the browser to dropbox.com to download any files from the other account. I’m sure I used to be able to switch accounts. However, now I can’t even access one of the accounts via the browser on the desktop computer. Dropbox says it is sending me a 6 digit number and after multiple repeats of this, I still haven’t received any 6 digit. I have gone through various processes as outlined in other community threads such as checking spam, adding no-reply@dropbox.com etc. I am sending this on the laptop as I can’t use this dropbox account on the desktop or it’s browser. I thought it might be to do with devices linked but I couldn't find any options to do this and I am now locked out.

I feel like I'm going around and around in circles trying all the troubleshooting and getting nowhere fast.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @TeeSki, welcome to our Community! 

If I understand this correctly, you still have access to the email address linked on both of your Dropbox accounts, right?

Provided that's the case, can I reach out via email, in order for us to have a closer look into this?

Let me know!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Kristy Crooks
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have another Dropxbox account, which has files i need to access, but the email address i used no longer exists, and im unable to retrieve the password to confirm the account. I need to access this account, can anyone help?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Kristy Crooks, thanks for posting here today!

The issue is that without access to the email address associated with the account, there's no way to verify ownership of the account.

Is it possible to reach out to the email service provider, to ask them to re-enable the email?

Let me know more!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Kristy Crooks
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
No I can't, it was an old work email address, and they changed it a little, so any of the old addresses stopped receiving emails late last year! It's a shame I can't verify any other way, like another email or mobile phone

TeeSki
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi @Megan,

Thanks for your quick response.

Yes, I do have access to the email addresses(2) to both of the accounts.

Cheers!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @TeeSki, I just sent an email to your Community-linked email address, I'll see you there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there, @Kristy Crooks.

Do you perhaps still have any devices connected to this account?

Or perhaps a way to regain access to the email address? Without access to the email address, there's not much that we can do, so perhaps your IT department/person could help you with this.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Kristy Crooks wrote:
No I can't, it was an old work email address, and they changed it a little ...

The IT department may be able to recreate it still. It all depends on if the old email domain still exists and has a proper MX record pointing to the company mail server. It's pretty easy stuff. It might be worth a call to the company to see if they can help.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    kgh428 New member | Level 2
    Benf New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?