cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox password manager app - accidently reset; help needed to restore it

Dropbox password manager app - accidently reset; help needed to restore it

omar153
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I have downloaded Dropbox passwords manager app on my phone to store all my passwords. I accidently reset it and all my passwords saved are gone. I have the 12 seed recovery words which i tried to use but this did not help. The screen where I enter the recovery words accepts it does not continue. it recognises the recovery words but stays on that screen.

Any help here, I have 100s of password stored and it would be a disaster if I cannot restore or recover it. What can I do?

I have a Dropbox plus account.
Best regards,
Omar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

You can contact support at www.dropbox.com/support, but, they'll say the same thing. Replies will take a few days and they arent open weekends. 

Dropbox do not have the capability to recover things which it has permanently removed - imagine the legal issues if they did from people who wanted to remove files etc. from servers and were told it was permanent to find out its not?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II

How do you mean you reset it @omar153 ?

If you told Dropbox to do a reset they are permanently deleted and not recoverable: https://help.dropbox.com/installs/dropbox-passwords-faq#How-do-I-reset-my-Dropbox-Passwords-account

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

omar153
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

Yes I did a reset on the iPhone app. However the information was not clear on the app as it is on the link you sent. It said it would delete data on the device and log me out.

As such I thought it would log me out from all devices as I had it in a few places BUT not delete my data.

It was just one click and no clear warning. Ithought with my 12 word seed recovery I could reinstall all passwords.

Is there no hope. Any possibility or chance to contact Dropbox support to ask them to recover it. I read sonewhere they keep data for 30 days and I still have a paid Dropbox plus account.

Thanks for your reply and any help?

Best regards,

Omar

Mark
Super User II

As the website says its permanently removed its not recoverable. 

Dropbox keeps files for 30 days, but, not the passwords that have been reset. Unfortunately as you reset it you've lost everything. 

omar153
Explorer | Level 4
So even with my 12 seed recovery (which it the site accepts). There is no option here for help with Dropbox support?

Mark
Super User II

You can contact support at www.dropbox.com/support, but, they'll say the same thing. Replies will take a few days and they arent open weekends. 

Dropbox do not have the capability to recover things which it has permanently removed - imagine the legal issues if they did from people who wanted to remove files etc. from servers and were told it was permanent to find out its not?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    omar153 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?