cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable downloads for people who are invited to view

How to disable downloads for people who are invited to view

bluemonk482
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi all,

I am a Dropbox Enterprise user. I want to invite my colleagues to a sensitive file, and I want to set up a password to the file and disable downloads for the file. But it seems I can only add password and disable downloads when I share the link to file with my colleagues. If I invite them, there is no way to disable downloading. Is this correct? Am I missing anything? Is there a solution to this so I can invite them and making sure them cannot download the file. This is for data security and privacy purpose. Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Bo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@bluemonk482 wrote:

But it seems I can only add password and disable downloads when I share the link to file with my colleagues. If I invite them, there is no way to disable downloading. Is this correct?

That's correct. Shared Links have password and download controls, but if you explicitly share a file with someone directly, they'll be able to download it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@bluemonk482 wrote:

But it seems I can only add password and disable downloads when I share the link to file with my colleagues. If I invite them, there is no way to disable downloading. Is this correct?

That's correct. Shared Links have password and download controls, but if you explicitly share a file with someone directly, they'll be able to download it.

OmniR1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

If I create a share link where 'anyone with this link can view' and I set the download preference to off, this will disable downloading for the viewer? Your response above was slightly confusing. By explicitly sharing with someone directly you meant an invitation, not sharing, right?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @OmniR1, thanks for posting here today! 

Dropbox Professional, Standard, Advanced, and Enterprise customers can disable downloads for a shared link. You can see more about this here

And yes, explicitly sharing a file with someone, means sending out an invite, to add the file to their account. 

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    OmniR1 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?