cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had a Dropbox account linked with my previous job email, that I need to recover.

I had a Dropbox account linked with my previous job email, that I need to recover.

User1237
Helpful | Level 5

I had a Dropbox account linked with my previous job email. I have left the job and so can’t access the Dropbox now. How can I get access to it as I had a lot of personal stuff saved in it. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II

If it was a personal email it is certainly gone - they are wiped after 12 months almost to the day. Warning emails about this start about 90 days before deletion 😞 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @User1237, let's jump right into this! 

Do you get any specific errors when trying to access your Dropbox account, or do you face some trouble accessing the 6-digit-security-code? 

I'm asking that, because even if you don't have access to the email address, you should still be able to use your credentials, and access your Dropbox account. Provided of course, that you can remember them. 

How long has it been since you logged into the account?

Let me know more!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

User1237
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Meghan. When I try to log in the code is sent to the email for which I do not have access. This is about 3.5years ago. I have not tried again now. I am not sure if I remember the password now…When I was checking around that time it looked like we couldn’t get it. I am relooking at it again in the hope I can get it back. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @User1237, if you last accessed your account about 3.5 years ago, then it's most likely deleted due to inactivity, I'm afraid. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

User1237
Helpful | Level 5

That’s what I am worried…Anyway to confirm it? If by chance it is still there..

Thanks!

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @User1237, the next step for this to work would be for us to switch to email, in order for you to send us a response back from the email address in question.

However, I can definitely tell you, that if we're talking about an inactive account, it's most definitely deleted, unless it was part of a Business team. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

User1237
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what it means..do I send you the email address on this chat or can I send that to you privately..? 
You mentioned about a business team..I was in a job which was a big organisation..so would that count as a business email? 
thanks in advance for your help. 

Mark
Super User II

A Business Team would be one that an organisation set up, created and managed on your behalf and paid fees for that. If that was the case the only people who can help are the business. Dropbox support wont be able to restore anything.

However, after 3.5years it'll be gone - 7 days is the limit for deleted accounts on business teams. -

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

User1237
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you Mark for your explanation. I think it would be a personal one, as I had taken it up with the office email. But it makes no difference I guess. Looks like it’s all gone. 

Mark
Super User II

If it was a personal email it is certainly gone - they are wiped after 12 months almost to the day. Warning emails about this start about 90 days before deletion 😞 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

User1237 Helpful | Level 5
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?