cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to review sign in attempts

I want to review sign in attempts

arana
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello,

I received "one-time security code" from no-reply@dropbox.com 3 times yesterday. I didn't try to login anywhere using my password.I also don't have 2FA enabled.

From the previous posts I read on this topic it seems someone has stolen my dropbox password. This is a password that is unique and long specifically for dropbox and I'm not sure how someone could have found it.I haven't recently logged into dropbox using my password.

I'm trying to find out login attempts in the security tab however there are no logs for this. I'm currently a free plan user and can't open a ticket. Can you please inform me if there is a way for me to review log in attempts?

Right now even if I change the password they might figure it out again, so not sure what to do. I appreciate any help on this issue.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @arana, sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to mention that the email seems to be coming from an official Dropbox domain, so you might want to change your account's password. 

Apart from that, there's not much we can do here as it's not possible to check the logs for the one time code that was sent or see which IP caused this in the first place.

I hope this helps to some extent. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi

There is no such log available I'm afraid. 

All I can suggest doing is setting up 2FA and changing password to a secure one using something like 1Password etc. 

Also consider trying the Security Checkup: https://help.dropbox.com/security/security-checkup

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @arana, you can see successful login attempts on your security page for browser logins, which will also include an approximate location based on the IP address.

Do you use any VPN software or proxy, which could be changing your location, or clearing the cache / using incognito mode on your browser?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

arana
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I checked the successful ones, I'm the only one there. If dropbox security doesn't have problems that email tells me someone has access to my dropbos password. I haven't yet changed it as I don't know how they have access to that password.  I don't use VPN, or any proxy with my dropbox account. My account is set up in 2 computers, I was using 1 of them and the other one was being used by my wife but nothing related to dropbox. We were both browsing safe web sites. In any case neither of us used password at that time or try to log in somewhere. If the attempt was from the same IP, I could conclude it was some misconfiguration with the software maybe but I'm not sure.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @arana, sorry to jump in here, but I just wanted to mention that the email seems to be coming from an official Dropbox domain, so you might want to change your account's password. 

Apart from that, there's not much we can do here as it's not possible to check the logs for the one time code that was sent or see which IP caused this in the first place.

I hope this helps to some extent. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

radenkovic
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@arana please follow up on my thread:
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Security-and-Permissions/Received-3-2FA-emails-in-one-minute-but-2FA...

Same thing happened to me, and it may be a bug/dropbox security issue. Thanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

radenkovic Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    arana Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?