cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All files synced AND available offline

All files synced AND available offline

joshfree
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm using an Intel Macbook Pro running OS Ventura 13.3.  I back all my files up to an external drive (a NAS, in fact). My backup software has now replaced many of my files with a Zero KB alias (or whatever the file is that Dropbox uses to track its offline files). I need to get those files back, and back up the actual files up externally.

Questions:

1. I have now right-clicked on my Dropbox folder and selected Make Available Offline. I am assuming this will download any offline files and put the actual data back on my hard drive. Is that correct?
  2. I want all that data to continue to sync normally and reliably so I can work on active projects with my team. Will that happen?
  3. I have read that I can set this permanently in my preferences, but I don't see that setting. Can someone tell me precisely where to look and how to set it? Maybe a screenshot?

Thanks for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @joshfree, thanks for posting on our Community!

When it comes to your first concern, you're right - you'll just need to give the desktop app enough time to sync those changes until it shows 'up to date' in your menu bar.

As for your second query, note that this option is not available to the new desktop app for Mac OS. You can read more about it along with the other expected changes here

Let me know if you have any other questions, Josh. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @joshfree, thanks for posting on our Community!

When it comes to your first concern, you're right - you'll just need to give the desktop app enough time to sync those changes until it shows 'up to date' in your menu bar.

As for your second query, note that this option is not available to the new desktop app for Mac OS. You can read more about it along with the other expected changes here

Let me know if you have any other questions, Josh. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

joshfree
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the quick response! 

I know that Chronosync is working on a fix for this, but I assume that would involve downloading any files as it backs them up, which sounds like a slow and intense process. Best practice seems to me to be what I'm doing: not allowing Dropbox to remove files from my hard drive and replace them with "pointer" files.

If there is a better way to handle this that you're aware of, please let me know. Thank you again!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I can't think of a better way to achieve this to be honest, Josh. 

I'll leave this thread open though, in case another user has something additional to offer. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    joshfree Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?