cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I merge two accounts?

Can I merge two accounts?

Judge Joyce
Explorer | Level 4

I have two dropbox accounts under different email addresses. How do I combine the two accounts into one

13 Replies 13

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Judge Joyce, thanks for posting today!

Currently, it isn't possible to merge two Dropbox accounts. 

You could use shared folders to move files from one account to another. 

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Judge Joyce
Explorer | Level 4
Jay can you explain how to do that?

Judge Joyce
Explorer | Level 4
Please create a simple way to do it. The sharing of files is difficult when you have quite a number of files in each account why shouldn’t we be able to just drag and drop from one account into the other?

Mark
Super User II

@Judge Joyce wrote:
why shouldn’t we be able to just drag and drop from one account into the other?

My guess here is that Dropbox is designed and intended that each person only has one account. You are not supposed to have multiple ones. They dont want people having lots to 'cheat' the quota system. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Mark
Super User II

Have a look at https://help.dropbox.com/share/share-file-or-folder

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Judge Joyce
Explorer | Level 4

my two accounts were not an attempt to cheat. And in fact, one of the accounts has payment for unlimited storage. One account was personal, and one account was for business which has now closed. I want to save everything in one account so that I don’t have to keep logging into each one separately! 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Judge Joyce, thanks for posting here today! 

If you use the desktop app, you can always make a copy of the content of account A locally, outside of your Dropbox folder.  

Then you'd need to sign out of account A, and into account B, and transfer everything there. 

Or, you can do what my colleague @Jay already mentioned, and create shared folders from one account, to the other. 

If you have any questions on how to do that, don't hesitate to let me know! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Judge Joyce
Explorer | Level 4
I tried to follow Jay‘s instructions and I couldn’t get it to work. I can try using the computer and making a copy but right now I am having problems with my computer. Since Microsoft added copilot, without anyone’s permission, my computer freezes, and I am waiting to speak to someone from Microsoft tomorrow, can you give me detailed instructions as to how to do what you suggest once the computer is fixed? Thank you.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @Judge Joyce

As a first step, can you please clarify if you already have the Dropbox desktop app installed on your computer? 

If you do, and you open your local Dropbox folder there, do you see the files of the Dropbox account you’d like to keep, or the files of the business that’s now closed?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Judge Joyce Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?