cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Email address is already taken

Changing Email: says email already taken.

EthanSB
New member | Level 2

I am trying to change the email on my account to my new work email. I established the account with a personal account. The new email I am trying with saying already taken - but how since i own this email and never used it before with drop box. How can I change it?

Thank you

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II

@EthanSB wrote:

The new email I am trying with saying already taken - but how since i own this email and never used it before with drop box. How can I change it?

If it's saying already taken, then that email address is already associated with an account. In order to use that email address with your account, you'll either need to change the email on the other account (to a third email address) or delete the other account. Either way your work email will be freed up for use on another account.

If it's your email address and you have control of it, try to sign in to the account, resetting the password if necessary.

Rogaa
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there, 

Most likely, your work email is already associated with a Dropbox account. To be able to check your your Dropbox account associated with the work email address, you can try to gain access by clicking on this link: www.dropbox.com/forgot and type in your work email address and click on Submit. You will be provided a link sent to your work email address to reset your account password. Once reset , you can then access your Dropbox account ( work email). You can just then continue with that account so you will have two accounts, one for personal matters and the other one is for your work. 

I hope that helps. 

Avenged
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I'm trying to change my email on my account but when i do it states "Email address is already taken" so i go to log in with that email I'm trying to change it to but then i get a sign up page, so it doesn't have an existing account.

I'm not sure what to do to update to the correct emails

Mark
Super User II

If it says email taken have you done a reset on www.dropbox.com/forgotten to try and log on using a reset password?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Avenged
Explorer | Level 3

Yeah I have, but because the account doesn't exist, no email comes through for instructions to reset the password.

Mark
Super User II

It sounds like either the account is linked to a Business Plan, old Google log on OR has been banned / removed for some reason.

You are going to need to contact Support via www.dropbox.com/support. Make sure you arent logged in to anything, including here, and then go to that link.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Avenged
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your help so far, but I seem to get stuck in the same situation that it's either the useless chatbot, or the usual help FAQs rather than a way to submit a ticket even when I open it in a private browser not logged into anything. 

There is a chance it's an old google log on because it is a gmail account I want to change to.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Avenged, sorry to see you're having trouble.

I'd also suggest reaching out to our support team about this.

To do so correctly, open a private browsing/incognito window and go to this page, fill out the form and submit your request.

Once you have your ticket number, please send that along to us here as well.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

pjoc
New member | Level 2

Current email to login will be discontinued.  Try to change to .....@gmail.com email but will not accept as it says this email already exists.  Which it does as I own it.  Not sure how to proceed.

Need more support?