cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete account without password

Delete account without password

Mams2
Explorer | Level 3

I have an account with an old email address I am not using anymore, on top of that I also forgot my password. So I would just like to delete the account altogether or change the email address or password. 

Anyone who can help me with this?!

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Mams2 - welcome to the Community!

Can you please clarify if you're logged into that account on any of your devices or web browsers?

Also, is the associated email address in use now? Are you able to gain access to that email address?

Let me know and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Mams2
Explorer | Level 3

Yes I am logged in on my phone and my laptop, but it won't give me notifications on any of them when I say I forgot my password. 

And I tried to gain access to the email address, but someone else seems to have it in use now.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Mams2, sorry to jump in here. I hope you're doing well today!

Since you're connected to your laptop and phone, the best course of action would be for you to download your content, then start a new Dropbox account.

If you don't have access to either your email or password, then you can't update your account's settings. 

You can let your old account automatically close after some time inactive.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DanWeiss
New member | Level 2

I have an old Dropbox account that is using Sign-in from Google .  I am trying to delete the account as I want to associate my email address to my active Dropbox account.  I cannot delete the account nor can I change the email address on the old Dropbox account as it prompts me for a password.  I tried the password associated with Google but that does not work.  Can someone point me in the right direction please?

DanWeiss
New member | Level 2

Ok I think I found the solution.  If you used an externally validated login service such as Google to login to your Dropbox account, deleting your account or changing the email address associated with your account may be a challenge.  The reason is that Dropbox prompts you for a password which presumably is used to attempt to validate your credentials using the external service.  I suspect this won't work because it needs to send more than just the password.  If you change your password, then you go through the process of moving your security validation to the standard username/password type as opposed to utilizing the external service.  This will allow you to delete your account.  This worked for me.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hey @DanWeiss, I'd be happy to answer this for you!

Since you don't remember the password for the account, the best way to go about it would be for you to create a new one. 

If you're connected to your old Dropbox account, you can then move any files you want to the new one. 

Also keep in mind that if you don't use your Dropbox account, it'll be deleted automatically after a year of inactivity.

I hope that this helps.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    DanWeiss New member | Level 2
    Mams2 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?