cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Not Starting - Mac OS Ventura 13.1

How do I end "Background items Added" Notification and/or Process?

Xrated666
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I uninstalled Dropbox but keep getting this annoying notification on my mac that Dropbox is adding items that can run in the background even though the app is deleted and it is disabled in the appropriate setting. How do I get this to end once and for all? Thanks!

Screenshot 1.jpg

Screenshot 2.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Xrated666
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I might have discovered a possible fix. Deleted the files as instructed in screenshot, emptied trash then restarted my mac and haven't had the problem or that pesky notification yet.  🤞

Screenshot.jpg

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

think this is a bug in Apple Ventura OS actually as I'm getting it for lots of different apps at the moment. It started when I updated to 13.1

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

johnsheffernan99
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Having the same issue after I tried to cut down on the number of background apps on my Mac running Ventura 13.1.  But even turning them back on still getting 2-3x messages on startup.  

dropbox error.jpg

johnsheffernan99
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

In trying to get rid of some Dropbox error messages on startup (see below), I managed to mess up my dropbox setup and now it won't start.  See error log even more below. I reinstalled app from download. 

Any help appreciated.

John

image.jpeg

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 163.4.5456
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 57
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: c063ef3d-8d69-5445-9c18-9f52389f11f9
pid: 1039
ppid: 1
uid: 502
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='johnheffernan', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='John Heffernan', pw_dir='/Users/johnheffernan', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='johnheffernan', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='John Heffernan', pw_dir='/Users/johnheffernan', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 502
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'johnheffernan', '_nsurlstoraged'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'johnheffernan', '_nsurlstoraged'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
     real_path='/'
            mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
     parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/johnheffernan'
appdata: '/Users/johnheffernan/.dropbox/instance1'
         real_path='/Users/johnheffernan/.dropbox/instance1'
                mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
         parent mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/johnheffernan/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox'
              real_path='/Users/johnheffernan/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox'
                    mode=0o40755 uid=502 gid=20
              parent mode=0o40755 uid=502 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                      mode=0o100755 uid=502 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                      not found
                parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/0z/wf0s01md3yd_lc2vy_m4t_vh0000gp/T'
         real_path='/private/var/folders/0z/wf0s01md3yd_lc2vy_m4t_vh0000gp/T'
                mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 5165, in _setup_root_for_account
  File "dropbox/sync_root/helpers.pyc", line 467, in get_root_for_account
  File "dropbox/foundation/futures/basic.pyc", line 853, in result
  File "dropbox/sync_root/handlers/macos/file_provider.pyc", line 121, in set_result_or_convert_exception
dropbox.mac.internal.MacError: [Errno -2001] Error Domain=NSFileProviderErrorDomain Code=-2001 "No valid file provider found with identifier ‘com.getdropbox.dropbox.fileprovider/a3368d78-5ea7-42b7-9c24-4513fa6fef58‘." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=No valid file provider found with identifier ‘com.getdropbox.dropbox.fileprovider/a3368d78-5ea7-42b7-9c24-4513fa6fef58‘.}

johnsheffernan99
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Update - I did do an advanced reinstall and got dropbox working again.  Same annoying Background Items Added messages but at least it's working.

John

Xrated666
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It really sucks lol.

KennethYim
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This worked!
Open up the Mac dropdown.

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Confirmed: this is known OS Ventura issue

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254341579

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Xrated666
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I might have discovered a possible fix. Deleted the files as instructed in screenshot, emptied trash then restarted my mac and haven't had the problem or that pesky notification yet.  🤞

Screenshot.jpg

Simobyst
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had this problem and a person on Apple Senior support helped me with it!

Write this into spotlight search:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

Then you simply delete the files that cause the notification issue.

You can alternatively install a cleaning program such as CleanMyMacX or Avast cleanup.

Need more support?