cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm having trouble receiving the security code from my phone

I'm having trouble receiving the security code from my phone

Abdullaziz S.
New member | Level 1

i format my phone without taking backup code and now iam trying to login to my dropbox account and asking for the security code over my number for like 4 days and i didn't get any thing

8 Replies 8

Richard P.
Super User alumni

Dropbox won't ever issue you with the backup code again, so if you cant log in using your normal username, password and code, you won't ever be able to regain access to the account.

Abdullaziz S.
New member | Level 1

This is not the account that has the problem

Abdullaziz S.
New member | Level 1

I cant login without the security code and nothing sent to my phone number that is linked to the account

Richard P.
Super User alumni

As per the article Robert linked to:

If you're not receiving text messages, you've lost your phone, or your mobile authenticator app isn't working, you should disable or reset two-step verification on the Security tab of your Dropbox account settings.

and 

Recover your account with your emergency backup code

1. Sign in at www.dropbox.com.

2. When prompted to enter your security code, click I lost my phone.

3. Enter your emergency backup code and press Disable two-step verification.

If you have lost your emergency backup code, and you are not receiving any two-step verification text messages, and the steps in that help article are not helping, then there is little you can do to recover the account.

Once you enable two-step verification, Dropbox will not grant you access to that account without the emergency backup code.  If you lose that code, the account is also lost.

Abdullaziz S.
New member | Level 1

Are you kidding me i have yhe phone number that is linked with the account and the websiye doesn't send me the code i have no other option i dont have backup code or authentication app i only have the phone number the same issue happen with my gmail account but they send me the code once i request it and everything working perfectly so send me the code on my phone number and everything will be fine

Richard P.
Super User alumni

I don't for one minute think that the Dropbox text messaging system is saying "lets not send this specific message to Abdullaziz, that should be funny!".  

Which means it is being sent.

Text messages are unreliable - which is why you are given an emergency backup code. So you don't lose the account if the text message isn't received.

The moment you turn on two-step authentication, it is your responsibility to ensure that the emergency backup code is kept in a safe, secure place.  It is the only thing that overrides two-step authentication.

If you have lost your emergency backup code, then I'm afraid there is nothing Dropbox can do.

Richard P.
Super User alumni

If you open a support ticket at www.dropbox.com/support they might be able to send out the SMS via a different method, which might resolve your issue, but if it does not, then Dropbox will not recover the account for you.

Tickets take on average 3 business days, and you can check on them at http://dropbox.zendesk.com/

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard P. Super User alumni
    Abdullaziz S. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?