cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link personal account with another personal account.

Link personal account with another personal account.

Sean Grattan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am trying to link 2 personal accounts - my own, and the one my boss uses (the business I work for is very small, basically just myself and my boss).

I only see an option to link a team account:

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 12.05.11 PM.png

I'm not sure if not sure if there is meant to be a separate link for a personal account?

If I click Link accounts, and enter my boss' personal credentials, I get an error saying "Sign in to a team account":

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 12.04.51 PM.png

So this leads me to think that there is in fact a difference between signing in to a teams vs personal account.

Help me please Dropbox community 🙂

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Sean Grattan wrote:

Does the Professional count as a business plan? Or perhaps it is only the Standard, Advanced and Enterprise that are "business"?

Standard, Advanced and Enterprise. Professional accounts, while marketed as "business" because they contain some of the features found in the actual Business accounts, are still considered an individual account and can not link to another individual account; only a Business account.

Since it's just the two of you, your best option really is the use of a shared folder.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi

There is a difference - you need to be on a paid for Business account which has multiple licences. It isnt possible to link 2 personal accounts (even if they are paid).

Also, I notice you said you use the same account as your boss. Please stop immediately it is against the terms of service of Dropbox and your boss is risking having the accounts banned without warning which WOULD cause all data to be deleted/lost and not recoverable. 

You must use a separate account with shared folders sharing between them. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Sean Grattan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Mark, thanks for your reply and for the heads up about the potential terms violation. Can you please specify what term I am potentially violating? I use my boss' account for work related tasks only - I have no plans or desires to put my personal stuff there. The reason I am wanting to link the accounts is so that I can access my boss' stuff via my computer desktop folders. Using a browser is fine, but the specific tasks I need to do (folder reorganization) would be easier via the desktop.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Sean Grattan wrote:

Can you please specify what term I am potentially violating? I use my boss' account for work related tasks only ...

Personal accounts are personal, intended for one individual. You shouldn't be signing in to your boss' account. It's against the Terms to share accounts. If you're signing in to your boss' account, that's a violation of the terms and could result in your boss' account being suspended.

From here (emphasis mine): https://www.dropbox.com/terms
Help us keep Your Stuff protected. Safeguard your password to the Services, and keep your account information current. Don’t share your account credentials or give others access to your account.

The correct way to do this is to each have your own separate account and you create a shared folder between them. Anything placed in the shared folder can be accessed by both accounts.

Sean Grattan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Understood, thanks again.

So a business account would be any of these plans  except for the Plus and the Family? Does the Professional count as a business plan? Or perhaps it is only the Standard, Advanced and Enterprise that are "business"?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Sean Grattan wrote:

Does the Professional count as a business plan? Or perhaps it is only the Standard, Advanced and Enterprise that are "business"?

Standard, Advanced and Enterprise. Professional accounts, while marketed as "business" because they contain some of the features found in the actual Business accounts, are still considered an individual account and can not link to another individual account; only a Business account.

Since it's just the two of you, your best option really is the use of a shared folder.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:

@Sean Grattan wrote:

Can you please specify what term I am potentially violating? I use my boss' account for work related tasks only ...

Personal accounts are personal, intended for one individual. You shouldn't be signing in to your boss' account. It's against the Terms to share accounts. If you're signing in to your boss' account, that's a violation of the terms and could result in your boss' account being suspended.

From here (emphasis mine): https://www.dropbox.com/terms
Help us keep Your Stuff protected. Safeguard your password to the Services, and keep your account information current. Don’t share your account credentials or give others access to your account.

The correct way to do this is to each have your own separate account and you create a shared folder between them. Anything placed in the shared folder can be accessed by both accounts.

To add to what @Rich has said - Dropbox have already terminated accounts for this so it really isnt worth the risk. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
    Sean Grattan New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?