cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old account keeps autopopulating when I download Dropbox- how to sign out?

Old account keeps autopopulating when I download Dropbox- how to sign out?

carlieransom
Explorer | Level 3

Greetings!  I have an old Dropbox account that I can no longer access, because I don't have the email anymore.  I have uninstalled Dropbox on my computer, but every time I re-download it, the old account is populated automatically.  I need to sign out of this old account and sign into my new account on the desktop.  The directions the chatbot gave me did not work (maybe my desktop account looks different?).  Please help.

4 Replies 4

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @carlieransom, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community!

You can sign out of the Dropbox desktop app, by following the steps in this article.

I hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

carlieransom
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Hannah, I had read this article and it doesn’t work because I don’t have the icon with my initials on the desktop app. So I’m not able to sign out. I even uninstalled the app, reinstalled and said I wanted to sign into my new account and still signed into my old account. Not sure how it did that.

carlieransom
Explorer | Level 3

@Hannah Please see my message above but I also just tried re-installing from a different browser and that didnt' work. I've tried both "sign in now" before the installation and "don't sign in".  In both cases, it automatically signs me into my old account and there are not any initials or avatar icons like the help articles say where I'm given the option to sign out.  There are avatar or initials icons on the web version, not the desktop version (I'm on a PC).  Is there a  number to call for help?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @carlieransom, if you don't have access to the email at all, and can't access the preferences in the Dropbox desktop application, you can perform an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link.

Afterwards, you'll be able to sign into your current Dropbox account, which would be under a different email address.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    carlieransom Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?