cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching between two linked accounts on linux seems to be missing ???

Switching between two linked accounts on linux seems to be missing ???

azalea4va
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am trying to set up on linux access to my linked business and personal account.  But the instructions for doing so in the app do not match what the app provides.  Here is a screen shot of the dropbox app when running on linux (left) and when running on windows (right):

dropbox.jpg 

The linux version does not seems to know about my linked app.

Is this a bug in the linux app or am I missing something?  If a bug, how does one report a bug to dropbox?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @azalea4va 

Unfortunately switching between linked accounts is only available on Mac and Windows: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/multiple-accounts/switch-between-accounts

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @azalea4va 

Unfortunately switching between linked accounts is only available on Mac and Windows: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/multiple-accounts/switch-between-accounts

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

i.e... BUG!!!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@Здравко not a bug.... a conscious decision. Its working as intended even if that intentional way is shockingly bad 😞 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Mark wrote:

... intentional way is shockingly bad 😞 

Yeah... especially! 😡

It's your "conscious decision" not to label it as a BUG, as it is actually 🤷 (On my opinion). There is no any technical restriction! Mostly... development laziness! Even no development actually - no any difference related to other platforms... Only few additional test steps in fact!

azalea4va
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The frequently used cop-out, "it is not a bug, it is a feature."  There are code bugs but there also design bugs.  A house where two adjacent doors open into each other so only one can be open at a time was intentionally built to have those doors placed there, but it is a bug, a design bug.

My organiztion has decided to move to digital, web-based storage.  There are a number of options other than dropbox: google, etc.  I argued in favor of dropbox because of the other major players, dropbox's main business is providing such storage regardless of the platform used to access that storage.  Microsoft cannot make them claim.  So if we want a changing group of people to be able to access our storage, multi-platform access is important.  And Linux is an important as one of those platforms given the power it provides.

So yes, one can fairly classify leaving linux out as a design bug.  I am not sure I would but it is reasonable.  If this was a "conscious decision", what is the reason for the decision?  Was it "developmental laziness"?  To me, if the objective was to create a multi-platform tool and an important feature is missing from one major platform so there is not a common interface across all platforms (and that decision was due to laziness rather than technical limitations), yes maybe that is a design bug.

itsmenotyou
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The main page discussing this is not explicit about the fact that this feature is not available on linux (as of today: https://help.dropbox.com/accounts-billing/multiple-accounts/switch-between-accounts ). So one wastes time linking accounts, then going through the app... then reading the docs, then googling forums.. only to find out this functionality is not present.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

itsmenotyou New member | Level 2
    azalea4va Helpful | Level 6
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?