cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What is the recommend process to turn-off PC Backup if it is currently enabled?

What is the recommend process to turn-off PC Backup if it is currently enabled?

cmiarshvac
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have a user with PC backup enabled in Dropbox.  I need to get the Documents folder out the Dropbox path and back into the "standard" C:\Users\<user name>\Documents.  A piece of software is trying to install to the Documents folder but doesn't like the "." in the file path (our org name ends with "Inc." 

What is the best way to disable and unwind the PC Backup?  I am trying to avoid an uninstall/reinstall of the Dropbox App if possible.  Someone in another Community question had mentioned making a symlink but I doubt that is a fix.  The software must be looking to install into %USERPROFILE%\Documents or something similar.  As always, any help is appreciated. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cmiarshvac
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Megan Thank you.  I was searching for the "official" instructions but couldn't find them.  This is the link I needed!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @cmiarshvac, I hope you're doing well!

You should be able to follow the steps mentioned in this Help Center article, in order to disable Backup.

Once you do so, you can then choose to keep the content in folders on the PC, which means that the files and folders you stopped backing up will be moved to where they originally were. 

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cmiarshvac
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Megan Thank you.  I was searching for the "official" instructions but couldn't find them.  This is the link I needed!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No problem @cmiarshvac!

I'll be one post away if you need anything else, enjoy your Monday! 😊

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?