cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting files does not free quata space, apparently is policy? Conflicting info...?

Deleting files does not free quata space, apparently is policy? Conflicting info...?

Not applicable
Go to solution

Greetings--

I am posting because searching through the same question from the past gives me the wrong answer.

According to DropBox, deleting files DOES NOT free up space in the account. Here is the quote from DB help:

"Deleted files don't count against your storage quota, so permanently deleting them won’t free up space."

And, when I try to permanently delete files in "Deleted Files" section, I get a message which includes--

Permanently deleting these items won’t free up space.

So as I understand, even though I have 4.75gb of earned quota, I am forever cut off until I upgrade?

Seriously? So it's like having no space at all?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@anonymous wrote:

According to DropBox, deleting files DOES NOT free up space in the account. ... So as I understand, even though I have 4.75gb of earned quota, I am forever cut off until I upgrade?

You're misunderstanding it. Once you delete a file, that space is reclaimed and the file will be moved to Deleted Files. Files located in Deleted Files don't take up space in your account. Deleting a file from Deleted Files doesn't reclaim space because it was already reclaimed when you first deleted the file.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@anonymous wrote:

According to DropBox, deleting files DOES NOT free up space in the account. ... So as I understand, even though I have 4.75gb of earned quota, I am forever cut off until I upgrade?

You're misunderstanding it. Once you delete a file, that space is reclaimed and the file will be moved to Deleted Files. Files located in Deleted Files don't take up space in your account. Deleting a file from Deleted Files doesn't reclaim space because it was already reclaimed when you first deleted the file.

Not applicable
Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. This is not what I am experiencing. I have deleted every file in my account and it is empty. I have also permanently deleted all files. I still cannot add files or do anything at all. Here is the message I get when I try to add something:

Your Dropbox is full

You can’t upload files because you’re out of storage space. Before you can upload to Dropbox, you need to get more space.

Any light on why this is happening? As mentioned, even the FAQs state deleting files will not free up space, I quoted that in my opening post.

Not applicable
Go to solution

My bad. I had neglected to delete the Shared Folders which put me over the top. Now my account is empty and free space seems to be available.

I must say the interface has changed quite a bit in the few years I have not used and been away from DropBox. It used to be far more intuitive to use, that seems to be less so now.

In any event, thanks for the reply.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

anonymous Not applicable
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?