cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earned Storage space lost after downgrade.

Earned Storage space lost after downgrade.

Sena47
New member | Level 2

Hello, I downgraded my account and my earned space was diminished.  I would like the earned space back as it was earned through referrals and I was told it would be unaffected.  How do I go about this?  Please see the interaction following:

( 18:28:24 ) Mikayla: Please be aware that if your account is ever downgraded, Dropbox will not delete any of your files.
If your Dropbox folder becomes over quota all that should happen is that syncing stops. Dropbox will only sync until you hit your quota, so if you are over quota all that should happen is that Dropbox will not sync any new files.
( 18:28:30 ) Mikayla: Is this okay with you?
( 18:28:32 ) Visitor: Ok as long as I don’t lose the free account I have important things in there.
( 18:29:28 ) Mikayla: Absolutely, not. The account will get to the free Basic right now, nothing to worry about.
( 18:29:32 ) Visitor: Also, I earned a bunch of free space so that shouldn’t go away.
( 18:30:49 ) Mikayla: Please keep in mind that by cancelling and downgrading your account and by going back to the free Basic, your space will be limited to the 2 GB of available space on this plan. No worries though, as all of your content will be available to you on the web dropbox.com
( 18:31:03 ) Mikayla: Would you like me to proceed with the cancellation right now?
( 18:31:35 ) Visitor: It should not go back to the 2 gig I earned a lot of free space on referrals. That space stays even if it’s the free account.
( 18:32:21 ) Mikayla: That is okay, then of course. If it comes from referrals, no worries at all.

4 Replies 4

Mark
Super User II

When you downgrade you dont loose referral space but it does half in capacity. You get 500mb as a free user but 1gb as a paid one. Other space, however, is often time limited and so may be removed. 

You can see your quota at www.dropbox.com/account/plan

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

normski
New member | Level 2

The same thing happened to me and I too was told my earned space would remain. Representatives should be advised to make it clear to users that the earned space will halve.

bnation
Explorer | Level 4

I had 16 GB of storage that I had earned before I upgraded to Dropbox plus. I have downgraded back to Dropbox basic but now I only have 2 GB storage. I understood that I would not lose 14 GB of storage when I downgraded.

Now that I am back on the basic plan I can’t even contact Support. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for reaching out to us, @bnation.

Downgrading your account wouldn't cause you to lose all your referral space.

Can you take a look at what your plan page is reporting?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    bnation Explorer | Level 4
    normski New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?