cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Problem of space on my dropbox :(

Incorrect dropbox space usage on windows

storion
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Guys,

My local Windows Dropbox is fully synced with my online Dropbox.  Windows Explorer file/properties shows my Dropbox folder is 576 MB but to my surprise, dropbox.com and dropbox app both say my dropbox is full. I have checked the plan tab and found my regular file size is 3.4 GB which is not correct. My shared folder only takes less than 100 MB. What is going on here? Why the discrepancy? Any inputs?

Thanks,

Tao

675 Replies 675

Rich14
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I cannot reproduce the procedure I used because Dropbox will not let me do it. I will try explaining in steps below:

I record music on my D.A.W. for live gigs.

Next I render the project to a WAV or MP3 File which goes to their respective folders.

Then I select the file by right clicking on it. A drop down menu shows up which includes "send To" 

I would click on "send To and one of the options I could send the file to would be Dropbox. 

but It is no longer listed.  I could do this with PDF files also which contained lyrics to the music, but again, same issue.

In the past after sending the file to Dropbox I could go to Stagetraxx3 and add the file to my play list.   

Now I have to TRANSFER the file to Dropbox and I find it on the web under my account but not in my Dropbox folder so it is unaccessible.

I found out by right clicking on the file on my account page a dropdown menu appears allowing me to send it to my devices which are logged in. I see the IPAD and click on it but after that there is no option to actually send the file.

I hope I did not make this sound to complicated.

Thanks,

Rich

lizandra
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I deleted everything. It's completely empty. I did that last night. I thought I'd give it some time to figure out that I am not over my limit. But no. This morning it still says I have 1.03T in my basic dropbox. How is that possible, and I guess if it can't be fixed, how do I delete this account so that I can start over again without all this insanity.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

What about www.dropbox.com/backups ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Rich14, what OS are you currently running, and what version of the Dropbox desktop application?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jprenno
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you very much. It finally solved my problem. Thank you, thank you, very happy 🙂

EvgF
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I removed all files from my account, and after sync, it still uses 12.4 GB with 0 files. 

Before I deleted all files it uses 21+ GB when IRL it was only 9 GB on the disk.

What's wrong with Dropbox space calculation? 

Thanks.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @EvgF, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Is it possible that you have a backup on your account, which is visible on this page?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

EvgF
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is it, thank you very much. But I don't remember turning this feature on before. 🤔

Rich14
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Windows 11

Can't seem to find Dropbox version but I downloaded it about 4 weeks ago one a new PC so I assume it is up to date.  I made a discovery yesterday afternoon. If I Render my project file to the desk top I get an additional option in the dropdown menu after right clicking on the file. I then see two options.

Transfer to Dropbox which I have been currently trying to use.

Move to Dropbox which moves the file to my Dropbox folder and this works.

It appears to be a compatibility issue with Windows 11.  I should be able to Render my files to the appropriate Folder and move them from there as in the past.

Froun
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi , Dropbax says that i'm using 21 GIG ... but on my computer ... i'm using less than 1 GIG ! where can i find all the files that is taking that space ? ( i've check on the website and it looks the same as my computer ... ) need help 

Thank you 

Need more support?