cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you new to Dropbox? Our Newcomers group is the perfect place to learn the basics, find out more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of storage space

Incorrect dropbox space usage on windows

storion
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Guys,

My local Windows Dropbox is fully synced with my online Dropbox.  Windows Explorer file/properties shows my Dropbox folder is 576 MB but to my surprise, dropbox.com and dropbox app both say my dropbox is full. I have checked the plan tab and found my regular file size is 3.4 GB which is not correct. My shared folder only takes less than 100 MB. What is going on here? Why the discrepancy? Any inputs?

Thanks,

Tao

669 Replies 669

CATUNGA
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for your kind reply and your good intentions, but I wasn't able to follow the instructions. I just deleted some files and the problem is solved.

Thanks, anyway!

MShelby
New member | Level 2

Hi,  For the past year I've been dealing with being over my limit.  I no longer use dropbox for anything because I always get an over storage message.

I have deleted absolutely everything that I could find in my account.

There are no shared files ether.

According to dropbox all my storage is taken up with regular files.

Yet, it wont show me a single file when I open up my account.

How do i fix this or should i just delete dropbox completely and walk away?

Thanks for any suggestions

Rich
Super User II

@MShelby wrote:

According to dropbox all my storage is taken up with regular files.

Can you provide a screenshot of your Plan page? Be sure to mask any private information. Also, have you checked your Backups page?

Peter751125
New member | Level 2

Hi There!

My question is why does dropbox say i am out of storage space when

we only use 805MB?

I have tried everything: signed out, signed back, cleaned all our storage, restarted dropbox etc..

I don't think there is anything else i haven't tried what i am aware of.

I would really apprechiate some help here 🙂

Thank you in advance!

Peter

maher1982
Super User

Hi Peter,

Are you a member of any shared folders? Do you have any backups saved?

Both of these can consume storage space in your Dropbox account.

Peter751125
New member | Level 2

Hi!

Thanks for your reply! I don't think that i am a member of any shared folder. Also i tried to check if i have backup files bc since i wrote my question i read that could be the problem but i just can not find the way to check them. I read instructions online but it doesn't give me those options

Rich
Super User II

@Peter751125 wrote:

Also i tried to check if i have backup files bc since i wrote my question i read that could be the problem but i just can not find the way to check them.

Peter751125
New member | Level 2

Success! thanks everyone! 🙂

stephan_p
New member | Level 2

Hello everyone, a few days ago I suddenly received a message saying that the data volume of 2.45 GB used on my current plan of 2.5 GB was almost exhausted and that I should buy additional storage space. However, the actual amount of data in the Dropbox on my Windows PC is only 381 MB in 129 files. I also don't see any additional data in the Dropbox web client that could explain this discrepancy. Moreover, I have not added any data recently that could have changed the status at all. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Thanks in advance. Best regards Stephan

Rich
Super User II

@stephan_p wrote:

I also don't see any additional data in the Dropbox web client that could explain this discrepancy.

Check your Backups page.

Need more support?