cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted 'update' to Macos on File Provider causes multiple issues - excessive disk use being one

Unwanted 'update' to Macos on File Provider causes multiple issues - excessive disk use being one

Rogermcv
New member | Level 2

After 10+ years of happily using Dropbox both private as for business, I got the invite to update to use Macos on File Provider.

The update ran smoothly in itself, but:

1) I lost around 120 GB of disk space (free was 225 GB/1TB, free is now 101GB/1TB). Mac tells me that folder size in the new location is 497,46 GB (in 81k items) but if I look online, I am only using 331,8 GB (of 2TB). This issue is unacceptable for me, I plan to use this laptop for a few more years but I am now already on the edge of storage resources (10%).

2) I cannot access Photos anymore. Just a few weeks ago I moved my photo library to my current laptop and obviously put it in Dropbox because I want a hassle-free sync-experience. Not anymore, alas. This is also unacceptable.

And, no, I don't want to partially store my files online-only. I am over 50, meaning that my primary storage is at home and online is back-up (irrational, I know, but he, those are my photos and god knows what)

My question is simple: can I please revert to the old situation?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Rogermcv, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The new Mac OS Dropbox desktop application does have some changes which you have experienced on your device.

You can try to sign out of the Dropbox desktop application using these steps, and then sign back in. This mght help to return you to the previous structure.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Rogermcv, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The new Mac OS Dropbox desktop application does have some changes which you have experienced on your device.

You can try to sign out of the Dropbox desktop application using these steps, and then sign back in. This mght help to return you to the previous structure.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Rogermcv
New member | Level 2

Thanks, it worked.

1. sign-out

2. delete folder from new location

3. sign-in

4. it syncs to the old location

Excellent.

A warning would be appropriate, it really is a 150GB ~ 45% increase of disk use.

FoxOfTwilight
New member | Level 2

Please add this to the support page that tells you about making files and folders 'online-only'. I have spend two days trying to figure out what is suddenly making my Mac "System Data" take up 156G out of my 250G drive. Dropbox's new 'updates' were cramming my hard drive so full I couldn't load up my WORK programs. Trying to make everything online-only SAYS it's successful, and I watch the Dropbox folder KEEP GROWING, instead of shrinking in size. And that's AFTER hours of checking every Mac help page and system folder just to realize it's Dropbox!

OmurOlcun
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

We are buying an application to save hard drive capacity but it uses our hard drive..
Perfect...

Don't you try these updates before sending us?
Trying to save my computer for 3 days..
Really perfect..

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

OmurOlcun Explorer | Level 3
    FoxOfTwilight New member | Level 2
    Rogermcv New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?