cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View file and folder size

View file and folder size

corenottm
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Trying to identify files or folder to delete to reduce takeup of allocated cloud storage. Using list view as suggested and can see file or folder column headings including SIZE .   This just shows ...     Other help answers suggest size can be seen , even  for shared items which these are and some of which I originated.

Total allocated storage is 2GB. Dropbox suggestion is this is nearly full at 1.9GB, 1GB "standard" files, 0.9GB shared. What are  "standard" files? 

Can send screen shot if permitted.

Thanks, Corenottm

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@corenottm wrote:

Using list view as suggested and can see file or folder column headings including SIZE .   This just shows ...

After you have the Size column visible, you need to select a folder and calculate its size.

Dropbox suggestion is this is nearly full at 1.9GB, 1GB "standard" files, 0.9GB shared. What are  "standard" files?

All files in your account that are not shared, including backups you've created.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@corenottm wrote:

Using list view as suggested and can see file or folder column headings including SIZE .   This just shows ...

After you have the Size column visible, you need to select a folder and calculate its size.

Dropbox suggestion is this is nearly full at 1.9GB, 1GB "standard" files, 0.9GB shared. What are  "standard" files?

All files in your account that are not shared, including backups you've created.

corenottm
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Rich, cracked it eventually!

The step I was missing was to click on the 3 bold dots on extreme RHS of selected file or folder. Action options menu will pop up and if you are only around middle of screen, only a few will be seen, maybe not including calculate! Spot the scroll bar to right of menu and scroll up/down to see all the options and CALCULATE will eventually be found!  Looks like displayed size is lost when logging out, pity.

Thanks for the hint that used storage will include BACKUP files.  The just found menu of Dropbox features [click on 3 x 3 dot box by Dropbox icon , top LHS of home screen] offers a "backup of your devices automatically". Somehow this was activated and opening Backup  revealed 2 iPod devices had been backed up which made up the missing 1GB of storage Dropbox was insisting I had ! Why not just show this folder under main All Files listin? Looks like attempt to make finding big files/folders as hard as possible so you buy storage upgrade!

Appreciate you help solve this riddle, thanks again. Corenottm

marivasel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Despite these instructions, I am still not seeing anything that says "calculate size". I've clicked on every option and scrolled thru the menu completely. Any other ideas??

Capture.PNG

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @marivasel, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you click on the arrow that shows up next to the 'Modified' header and from there click the 'size' option? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

marivasel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes! That is where it is. Thank you so much. After toggling this & making it a column header you can click on the 3 dots and calculate size with the appropriate file/folder checked.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear it's sorted now @marivasel - thanks for keeping me in the loop too.

See you around the Community and take care! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Mmballew88
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sorry, I don't see how to display file size on web app file manager, I can see size in sidebar but this is not convenient for working with file manager.  I'm try to archive larger files to subfolders to help manage syncing on clients. see this screenshot.Untitled.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Mmballew88 , did you try clicking on the arrow that shows up next to the 'Modified' header and from there click the 'size' option? 

If you don't see the arrow, you might need to zoom out on your browser first. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Mmballew88
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I completely missed that hover over action.  attaching screenshot here for future searchers.Untitled2.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mmballew88 Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    marivasel New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?