Announcements
In need of some #MondayMotivation? Read more

Syncing individual files not place folders

SOLVED
5 Comments
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Syncing individual files not place folders

im aware of selective sync but what i want to do is have dropbox not sync files that or not place inside of a folder. I figure an otpion like that would be availble cause chances are most people would not have all individual files place in a folder. is there an option for this?

1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Super User II

Re: Syncing individual files not place folders

I'm afraid there isnt an option for this. 

Selective Sync is on a per folder level basis only. 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

5 Replies
Super User II

Do you mean that you want Dropbox to sync a file that's located elsewhere on your computer, that aren't located in the Dropbox folder? If so, Dropbox does not have such a feature. There are ways to accomplish it (symlinks, third-party utilities, etc.) but they are not supported and problematic at best.

If that's not what you mean, then you'll need to explain it better.

No, thats not what im saying. When you go into selective sync menu. There is a list of all the folders listed that you can check/uncheck from your dropbox cloud. My Issue is that, I don't always put my files into folders. So Selective synce gives you the option to check/uncheck the folders but not the individual files that are not placed into the folders. Is there an option to do that? check/uncheck the individual files not place in folders. Because what is happening is im setting up the dropbox app on my surface pro 3 which only give so much space(roughly 64g). But my dropbox has a 1TB capcity. The dropbox app tries to sync all the individual files not placed into folders from my dropbox cloud to my surface pro. Do you get it now?

EX.
MY DROPBOX (cloud)
-individual file 1(not a folder so it cant be check/unchecked)
-individual file 2(not a folder so it cant be check/unchecked)
-Folder 1 (can be check/unchecked)
--file 1
--file 2
-Folder 2 (can be check/unchecked)
-Folder 3 (can be check/unchecked)
Solution
Super User II

I'm afraid there isnt an option for this. 

Selective Sync is on a per folder level basis only. 

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

dang, that suck but ok. thanks for the response.
Community Manager

Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Thank you!

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! slightly smiling face