cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken links in InDesign files on macOS Monterey 12.3.1

Broken links in InDesign files on macOS Monterey 12.3.1

RobWilkins
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi there,

I've been happily working with Indesign files in Dropbox for a year now where my files are all stored Online Only. It used to be the case that Dropbox would automatically relink all the supporting files that are stored on Dropbox.com Screenshot 2022-04-16 at 08.18.07.pngand I would be able to edit the InDesign file. Recently, upon opening an InDesign file all the links to picture files etc are broken. 

Added to that, when I try to relink the files through InDesign I get a message that reads: Import Failed! (see attachment). My Dropbox App says that the files I am trying to relink are all Zero Bytes. When I access my account at Dropbox.com the files are all good.

The only way I seems that I can relink my files is if I download them to my iMac.

I'm currently using Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1.

Any ideas?

67 Replies 67

marilencastillo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Please, Can you upload and image about. I have the version in Spanish and I don´t find: All entries and and everything else. Thanks so much.

tobiasknecht
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

CleanShot 2022-11-03 at 19.20.04@2x.png

marilencastillo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you very very much, my nerves are very grateful 🙂

JeffB78
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This message was posted in April and there does not appear to be any improvement. Can you please update the community on the progress?

JeffB78
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is a great work around when your INDD file is comprised of JPG, PNG and TIFF files, but it does not work with EPS and PSD files, correct? 

tobiasknecht
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Since macOS Ventura unfortunately no longer 😞
Before that it worked. I hope Dropbox will get this function working again soon, without this workaround ...

Beauriz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Same Problem here. Dropbox promised an Update for november 2022… The Support is negating the problem or offering a useless workaround. Our customer consultant at dropobx isn't even answering mails. 

Microsoft one Cloud had the same problem but solved it after a few months. 

Stripypaint
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I have a catalogue of images (over 1000) to download with preview before I can use my InDesign file. This is adding so much time to my workflows - Dropbox is heavily used within the design community and I am really disappointed this hasn't been fixed at this stage. It is not a workable solution for me at all the way things have been left.

EDIT if you are opening a large amount of files in Preview as per the work around I recommend doing this in batches if you have lots of files to download for relinking to prevent crashing. Also Option + close to close all the preview windows at once when opened to save a little time.

Really hope this is sorted soon though.

ninager_prepress
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I had the idea that Dropbox works on solving the problem concerning the broken links in InDesign. A problem that has been there for more than a year. The "solution" of selecting said links and opening them or putting them on "available offline" is causing so much trouble for people working with InDesign on a professional basis. People that are dependent to work efficiently as their income depends on it. Other providers were able to work out a solution. When will there be a solution here? A ton of people have this problem: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/InDesign-won-t-open-InDesign-files-nor-impor...
Also not even the workarounds work for some: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/View-download-and-export/Broken-links-in-InDesign-files-on-macOS-Mon...
And still this problem is marked as being "solved". Even if it did work for SOME (me not included): it's still time consuming and not at all the service I once signed up for. How about Dropbox acknowledges the problem and makes a statement when improvements are to be expected.

I would like to quote the user RobWilkins as this illustrates perfectly how your solution makes Dropbox absolutely redundant if this problem continues. This was written in May (!): 

I am using the method you have outlined here (making any linked files 'available offline') but ultimately I use Dropbox because I can store all my files offline saving me space on my hard disk. With previous versions of MacOS I could happily open an InDesign file and all the links would be intact.

Now, I have to manually make a list of all the linked files, find those files on my Dropbox account and then make them 'available offline'. This is itself does not always restore the link in InDesign. I have to copy the individual files to a folder on my hard disk and then relink.

This is having a real impact on my production time and I expect many others are experiencing the same problem.

The problem has been known for quite a while now and I do hope Dropbox can find a solution asap otherwise I might have to consider another solution for my workflow.

Kind regards,

Rob

EthanMajor
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

As this is a somewhat workaround, the issue still isn't fixed and is a bit frustrating that it has been marked as 'solved' because now this issue won't cause the attention it needs from Dropbox

(not blaming you tobiask, just thought if I reply to your solved comment it might make a difference as I see people are still commenting about this issue)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Beauriz Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Genie123 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?