cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DB thinks I am offline

DB thinks I am offline

Norfolk VHF
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Both my laptop and desktop are connected to my account.  This issue is with my desktop only.

If you are reading this it is because my internet is working fine, as I proved outside of DB.  It's also true that I can perform tasks such as saving to the servers, which wouldn't happen if my internet were awry.

But if I try to use Preview, I get a message saying we can't do that because you are offline.  (Again, the same file opens fine on my laptop.)  If I click the chat button, nothing happens.  When I tried to send an e-mail to Support, I got a curt message saying we can't do that now.  Let's see if this last possibility of getting help obtains.

I tried restarting my computer, quitting and re-entering the program, but the issue continued.  I then tried logging out and back in, but nothing works.

Again, the system is happy to accept my data, but insists I am offline when I'm not.

25 Replies 25

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Norfolk VHF, if you download the file, does it play correctly?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Norfolk VHF
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

No issues with dowloading.  Just with reading pdf's and such, and listening to audio files.  DB thinks I'm offline even while accepting new files and updates to its servers.  So far, that only affects my use of Preview.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Have you tried clearing your browser's cache lately or another browser perhaps @Norfolk VHF

Do you still get the same error? 

Also, if you access the shared link from this page, does it give you the same error?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Norfolk VHF
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Bingo!  Thanks, Walter.  Preview behaved normally on a different browser.  Two points worth making.  I had tried going Incognito within Chrome, but still got the error message.  Also, my laptop, where Preview always worked fine, is also running Chrome.

So, it's clearly not Chrome itself, but apparently just its cache on my desktop computer.  I don't know how long it will take me to learn to clear that, but when I do I will come back with a (hopefully final) report!  Stay tuned.  

(I should also answer about that shared file.  Still got error message here on Chrome.)

Norfolk VHF
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

SOLUTION:  clear cache on browser, restart computer.

Credit to Walter above, but I wanted it to be clear that of several things he suggested in a single message, this is what worked for me.  I was glum at first, because I still got the error message right after clearing the cache.  I decided to try restarting the computer and now everything works fine again.

Thanks to all for your input. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to hear it's sorted now @Norfolk VHF and thanks for keeping us in the loop too.

See you around the Community and have a lovely weekend!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Norfolk VHF
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Unfortunately I have to reinstate this thread.  The problem I had, non-functionality of Preview with the error message that I am offline when I'm clearly not, has returned.  I had functionality for a few days after clearing cache on Google Chrome and restarting, but that no longer works.

Preview works fine on Chrome on my laptop, and fine on this desktop on a different browser. 

Norfolk VHF
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

offline.jpg

[Update:  problem returned after a few months, even on my new Brave browser.]  Ok.  Time to wrap up this thread.  This is not a Dropbox issue.  Like Dropbox, DoorDash relies, apparently, on the browser I use to discern whether I am online. The Google Chrome on my desktop is damaged, and even clearing the complete browser history only works to fix it for a couple of days.  Just as I was still able to update files in Dropbox despite the error message, so here I was still able to order my food despite the warning message.

I downloaded the Brave app, and will have to get used to using it.  Thanks to all for your input.  I learned a lot.

Norfolk VHF
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is a Dropbox issue after all.  It now says, yet again, I am offline (when I'm not, and can perform numerous functions that would require a dynamic connection to work, such as saving updated files).  It happens on both Chrome and Brave.

Am I really the only person with this issue?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Norfolk VHF, sorry to see you're having this issue again.

Do you perhaps have any security apps/extensions on your browser or generally your computer, like an antivirus, firewall, VPN etc. that might be causing this issue?

If you can, please temporarily disable them and let us know what you find.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?