cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

Decryption fails running iOS 14.2

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Just updated iPhone and iPad to iOS 14.2. Now, trying to open an encrypted file, it tell me "Decryption Failed. Null" If I open with Excel, it works fine. Anyone else having this issue?

259 Replies 259

stuehrenberg
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

After the last IOS Update I have problems opening Word documentes that are secured with a password. No problem on Macbook but on Iphone and Ipad. 

The opening procedure starts but after typing the password and OK it sais:

"Descryption failed (null)"

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thank you very much, Kai

brucedstout
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I diiscovered the work around to this.  After entering your password and getting the "Decryption failed (null)" message you will see a square with a line drawn from the upper right corner to the center of the square.  Tap that square icon, select "Microsoft Word" (I assume if you are attempting to open another type of file that application name will be listed).  Re-enter the password and the file opens.

pathfinder400
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Kai

In absence of any proposed fix by Microsoft or Dropbox, the best solution appears to be to open the file with your editor.

So far only way I have found around the problem.

Steve

Worcesterman
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

If you have MsOffice great. Otherwise access the files from a different platform convert to pdf and save alongside the original. You should be able to open the pdfs but of course there is not much that you can do with them.

Jonathan F.3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I have the same issue with a password-protected Word file. Will Apple fix this, or is it something that Dropbox can fix?

Jonathan F.3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
There was a response from someone at Dropbox at the beginning of this thread, but no indication if they will fix the problem or expect Apple to do so.

JohnK2
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
Jonathan, might I suggest you read the whole thread!

Krwzn
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
14.3 iOS didn’t solve the problem either.

Nealwald
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Please take the time to look at this entire thread. This is an iOS 14 (14.3 and below) issue not related to Dropbox. It impacts all MS office password protected files. It appears Apple has no reason to fix this. If you read the full thread you will find simple workaround to open protected files. The simplest solution is to open the file in the appropriate MS app or the iOS ms office app. Either will open your file.

Jonathan F.3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks. I figured out that workaround as well, but it's not particularly convenient. One would hope that Dropbox would eventually fix the problem, since there are probably thousands of people who have encountered it and they're not all likely to run across this dialogue.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Everitt Explorer | Level 3
    RRB74 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?