cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading shared folder not in zip format

Downloading shared folder not in zip format

Dianehelen
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Can a folder of files be shared and not download as a zip file, but just as a folder, as it was uploaded to Dropbox as?

Seems Drop box  creates a share link for a folder and compresses it to zip so when sharing the link, the person downloading it gets a zip file that needs to be extracted.

Thanks for any answers on this

Diane

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
A zip file is the only way that you'll be able to download it and keep its structure without downloading each individual file.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
A zip file is the only way that you'll be able to download it and keep its structure without downloading each individual file.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Dianehelen,

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Keep in mind that sharing and downloading are two different things. You can share a folder using the any of the available options as described here . 

If the other party does not use the desktop app to sync the folder in question to their account/device(s) and try to download it via a website , the download of any folder is going to result in a zip file. 

In addition, note that, currently, it isn't possible to download folders that contain more than 10,000 files or are larger than 20 GB via the web interface.  You can always read more about this here .  

If a user needs to download a folder larger than this, the best way to do so is by adding the files to their Dropbox and allowing them to download to their computer using the desktop application. 

Once the other party clicks the "Add to my Dropbox" option, these files will be added to their Dropbox account and will immediately begin syncing down to your linked computer(s).

I hope this helps clear things up Diane but let me know if have any further questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Dianehelen
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
thats what I kinda thought, thanks for the verification. So I guess drop box automatically zips a shared folder, when it needs to be downloaded by someone it was shared to right?
Thanks

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Dianehelen wrote:
I guess drop box automatically zips a shared folder, when it needs to be downloaded by someone it was shared to right?

You can't download a folder through a browser, and that's nothing to do with Dropbox. Unless you're using a download manager, your web browser only handles single files. To get around that, Dropbox zips the content of a folder into a single file for download. This holds true for any folder you wish to download, whether it's shared or not.

Cant_think
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
It's kind of annoying when I upload the folder and I download it onto my desktop. Then the folder turns into a zip file. I would like to know if there is a way to turn this feature off.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Cant_think, I believe that this conversation here should help you gain a bit of insight regarding your initial inquiry & that’s why I moved your post under this thread, just so as to point you to the explanations posted above. 

While I appreciate the time you devoted to write us your thoughts on the matter, I'd like to ask you to check out what has been discussed here at your convenience & let me know if you have any follow-up questions or observations. Thanks for getting in touch on the Community & enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

hansolocambo
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Working solution :

1/ The Dropbox account owner needs to share the folder.

2/ Open JDownloader2

3/ Copy the shared folder link (Ctrl+C, to the clipboard).

4/ JDownloader will then find the folder and all of its content

5/ You can now download all of the content locally, not zipped.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

hansolocambo Explorer | Level 4
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    Cant_think New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Dianehelen Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?