cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drop Box is not saving InDesign files!

Drop Box is not saving InDesign files!

moyerowl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My InDesign files download as a weird text file. ALL OF THEM. Has Drop Box lost all my InDesign files?? I tried going to earlier versions but they don't exisit. Here's what I get instead of my files:

ÌıÿFÂΩ1ÔÁ˛t∑DOCUMENTp {◊X»)&t"".ofll"롡ˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇµ ÓéªE¡!"XjπíÌıÿFÂΩ1ÔÁ˛t∑DOCUMENTp {◊X»)&t"".ofll"롡ˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇµ ÓéªE¡!"Wj⁄Ç›ˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇm|U®›ˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇm|D™fiYË∞tÔˇ<
L`H–¿.Ä√øâ?wG@ @X&˛ ‡êì\˛fiÌQ`¸4?Ä@ć‡?@¸Ä8<x†˛@~†O@Óĺø‡ˇø˛ˇ†¿?ƒÄ˚¸8é<Ë|Ä¿¿Ä:¿xÄ<@¯‡<¯¿?‡?Äć<¿@¯‡į˛ˇx ¿ Ä;ˇˇˇˇˇˇˇÎˇˇ˜ˇˇˇˇÔˇflˇˇˇˇ«ˇˇˇˇˇˇˇ¸ ß»?∞¯ØÅ–Åú Ä ¿ä
Ä ƒÄ©£l0@ cO! ÄÛ=˛ÄÄ <˚Òˇˇˇˇˇˇˇø˙ˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇˇ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

moyerowl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Luckily, the solution to my problem was very easy. When Drop Box downloads the InDesign file it adds a .TXT to the file name. Don't know why. All I had to do was delete the ".txt" on the file name and it became a perfect InDesign file. Thank you to the pepole who replied!!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You need to download what will look like the folder from the area you saved them in (InDesign is actually a package of files saved which Macs turn in to a file - everybody else sees it as lots of files though).

When you download this file you may need to rename the .zip to whatever extension InDesign has.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

mna
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Same problem - I was trying to work on a file at home that had been saved at the office. I cannot synch my whole 'work in progress' folder to my home machine as it is too small, so I selective synch.

My work around was to move the sub-folder into the main dropbox folder and then selectively synch that.

Took 30 mins but files were fine

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to hear it worked @mna

@moyerowl - when downloading them as advised, do they open fine for you now?

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

mna
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I still have the same problem as you in that if I ty to download a single file I get a text file - just like yours - the problem with the offered solution is that all my indesign files are in the same folder which is huge and I couldnt download the whole thing as my HD at home is too small. So What I did was make a smaller folder and moved the indesign files I needed into that then moved that to the main window and synched. I will try downloading that folder as advised tonight and see if that works too. The only issue there is that I end up with a lot of duplicate files on different machines which is the reason i started using dropbox in the first place - ie to avoid duplicates.

The only way I can get it to work efficiently is to synch all my current files  - catch 22

moyerowl
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Luckily, the solution to my problem was very easy. When Drop Box downloads the InDesign file it adds a .TXT to the file name. Don't know why. All I had to do was delete the ".txt" on the file name and it became a perfect InDesign file. Thank you to the pepole who replied!!

mna
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

that is nuts!!!   thanks for sharing it - I just tried and it works!!

CathyAK
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Here it is July 2018 and this is still happening. Deleting the .txt extention or downloading the whole folder fix the problem, but why is this happening? I assumed I was doing something wrong, but we can all be doing something wrong. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @CathyAK - thanks for pointing this out!

I have asked an expert of our team and will get back to you on this matter once I have an update. 

In the meantime, thank you for your patience and have a lovely day ahead!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Frank_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey all,

Just to follow up on this thread, our engineering team pushed a fix for this late last week - InDesign files should now be downloading normally, without appending a .txt to the end of the file name. If anyone is still experiencing this, please let me know! 

Thanks!

Frank

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Frank_S Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    CathyAK New member | Level 2
    mna Helpful | Level 5
    moyerowl New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?