cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Paper: "Upgrade your browser to use Paper" issue

Dropbox Paper: "Upgrade your browser to use Paper" issue

Tobejazz
Helpful | Level 7

Hi, I'm using Dropbox Paper within a FileMaker file (using its "web viewer" which essentially is a browser within FileMaker) and to day I can't display my Dropbox Paper documents in FileMaker - instead the "web viewer" says "Upgrade your browser to use Paper". I using the macOS 12.6.3 Monterey and the latest Safari version for it.

It seems Dropbox doesn't not want me to view my Paper documents in an application such as FileMaker, only in a "real" browser.

Any thoughts?

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

@Tobejazz wrote:

I'm using Dropbox Paper within a FileMaker file (using its "web viewer" which essentially is a browser within FileMaker) and to day I can't display my Dropbox Paper documents in FileMaker - instead the "web viewer" says "Upgrade your browser to use Paper".

Dropbox officially supports the latest two versions of the major browsers. FileMaker uses WebKit internally, which is what Safari is based on. If FileMaker isn't staying up-to-date with changes to WebKit, then it's unlikely that Dropbox will be able to support it. I'd suggest reaching out to FileMaker and see if there are any updates available. FileMaker usually releases a new version each year (or so).

Tobejazz
Helpful | Level 7

I'm using the latest FileMaker version that came out last november. Last week Dropbox Paper was changed in some way that makes FileMaker "web viewers" unable to display Paper documents (and instead shows this "Upgrade your browser to use Paper" error message) - this change happened from one day to another..

Claris (the maker of FileMaker) says I should use a "real" browser instead - I've built an extensive FileMaker solution about a year ago to view my many Paper documents in so I would really much like it to work just like it did until last week.

Could it be that Dropbox don't want me to use such a "middle layer" (FileMaker) to engage with my Paper documents?

Rich
Super User II

@Tobejazz wrote:

Could it be that Dropbox don't want me to use such a "middle layer" (FileMaker) to engage with my Paper documents?

Not likely. They probably have no idea that's how you're using it. They simply see the user agent that your browser reports, which will probably be some version of WebKit. Instead, Dropbox likely updated the minimum version requirements for the browser's that connect to their services and whatever version of WebKit is being used in FileMaker likely doesn't meet those requirements. Just because FileMaker is up-to-date doesn't mean that Claris is using the latest version of WebKit available.

Also keep in mind that the integrated browser is not a full-featured browser like Safari. It could simply be that Paper now relies on features that aren't available in a bare-bones WebKit browser.

Tobejazz
Helpful | Level 7

Do you know of a way to find out what the minimum browser version requirements for Paper are?

dropbox.com works just in FileMaker - paper.dropbox.com don't.

Also, do you know of a way to find out if Paper relies on features that aren't available in a bare-bones WebKit browser, and if so what they are?

Rich
Super User II

@Tobejazz wrote:

Do you know of a way ...

You'd have to contact Support.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Tobejazz Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?