cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: dropbox integratiion with Pages and Keynote

Dropbox/keynote/pages integration

Cleverbean
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi.  So I know this may very well be a problem on my end, but I can’t seem to solve it so I thought I’d try here.  I’m using a new iPad pro, and I’m having trouble using it with pages and Keynote.  If I have a file saved in dropbox and I want to edit it, I ‘open in’ Pages/Keynote, and then I start working on it.  After a while, I’ll get a message saying that ‘the file has been deleted in another location’ and then the file closes.  When I go to look for it, I find many versions of the file at various stages of my editing having been saved in dropbox, but not the most recent one.  So I thought maybe I was doing it wrong but as far as I can tell, I should be exporting the file from dropbox to the other app, then working on it, then when I’m done, saving it back to dropbox.  But that’s just what I’m doing.  Am I completely misunderstanding the iPad workflow?  I’m not a newbie but this is my first time trying to use an iPad as my sole computer.  Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey 

Thanks for posting on the Forum on the issue you’ve experienced, let’s work on that together!

• Initially, assuming that you’re running the latest version of the Dropbox application on your phone (82.2), can you also ensure you’ve installed all OS updates? Also, ensuring that you’re running the latest version of Pages/Keynote, where you’re editing your files on your phone is also advisable. 
  • Secondly, are you getting any error messages? Any detail you could include would be extremely helpful, as well as any screenshots, so that I make sure we’re on the same page. 
  • Last but not least, as you might be getting the duplicate files due to a connectivity issue (eg. have you noticed any latency in your network by any chance?), have you tried repeating while connected on your data provider? 

Thanks again & once I have this info, I’ll do my best to analyze & troubleshoot with you here!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey 

Thanks for posting on the Forum on the issue you’ve experienced, let’s work on that together!

• Initially, assuming that you’re running the latest version of the Dropbox application on your phone (82.2), can you also ensure you’ve installed all OS updates? Also, ensuring that you’re running the latest version of Pages/Keynote, where you’re editing your files on your phone is also advisable. 
  • Secondly, are you getting any error messages? Any detail you could include would be extremely helpful, as well as any screenshots, so that I make sure we’re on the same page. 
  • Last but not least, as you might be getting the duplicate files due to a connectivity issue (eg. have you noticed any latency in your network by any chance?), have you tried repeating while connected on your data provider? 

Thanks again & once I have this info, I’ll do my best to analyze & troubleshoot with you here!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
We didn’t hear back from you, so we’re thinking that this is no longer an issue. If you have any further questions or issues concerning your Dropbox, please don’t hesitate to contact us in our forum, or at https://www.dropbox.com/support

Cheers!

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Cleverbean
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I posyed this same issue kast week, but the only response i got was dropbox asking me questions inhad clearly already answered in my post.  i’m reposting here since that thread was closed and will add whatever info i can to try to make it clearer.

I’m using a new iPad pro, and I’m having trouble using it with pages and Keynote. i have all the latest versions of my OS, dropbox, pages and keynote.  If I have a file saved in dropbox and I want to edit it, I ‘open in’ Pages/Keynote, and then I start working on it. After a while, I’ll get an error message saying that ‘the file has been deleted in another location’ and then the file closes. When I go to look for it, I find many versions of the file at various stages of my editing having been saved in dropbox, but not the most recent one. So I thought maybe I was doing it wrong but as far as I can tell, I should be exporting the file from dropbox to the other app, then working on it, then when I’m done, saving it back to dropbox. But that’s just what I’m doing. Am I completely misunderstanding the iPad workflow? I’m not a newbie but this is my first time trying to use an iPad as my sole computer. Thanks!

Karina
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again @Cleverbean :slight_smile: I want to further look into this with you! 

Thanks for reaching out to us again and reiterating the issue you’ve recently been encountering with Dropbox and two of the new iOS apps. 

I’d like to see if I can replicate the issue you’re experiencing on my end as well - so, just to ensure I’m understanding everything correctly: 

• You have a regular file located within your Dropbox (like a .doc file, for example), and you want to edit it, so you export it to the Pages app, and upon starting to work on the file, you proceed to receive the error message stating that the file has been deleted in another location?

• Would it be possible by any chance to reply with a screenshot of this error? Is it a Dropbox error, or is it coming straight from the Pages or Keynotes app? 

Also, when saving the file back to Dropbox, could you let us know exactly how you’re doing this? Do you export it back to Dropbox (and when doing so, do you select Dropbox from the top list or second row of apps you’re able to select? - the second row should allow you to Save to Dropbox”) 

If my question is sounding a bit vague and hard to follow, let me know so I can include some screenshots of what I mean in my next reply.

smiling face with smiling eyes

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing back from you with more detail so we can troubleshoot and hopefully get to the bottom of this!  

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Cleverbean
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, and thanks.  So there are several related issues here.  I took a couple of screenshots for one problem, which I’ll describe and attach here.  

In this case, I have a file (.docx) in Dropbox.  I export it to Pages, work on it, and then go to save it to dropbox.  In the case of these screenshots, I click on ‘Share’ and then ‘Copy to Dropbox’ (second row of icons), then I get an error that says  ‘an unknown error occurred’.  Then I have to click OK, and Pages closes.  When I go back into Dropbox, I see that it’s saved all sorts of versions that say ‘conflicted copy’ after them, and it usually doesn’t have the latest version at all.  I’ve attached a screenshot of the dropbox folder with all of these autosaved conflicted versions as well.

The ‘file has been deleted’ error message hasn’t popped up today, but when it does, I’ll attach a copy of that too.  Thanks!4E841717-0963-4BF8-986A-C5E71E49EAF9.pngA64A68A0-F2C8-4CEE-82C1-A1278F1C38DB.png

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again, @Cleverbean,

My apologies for the delay. I would like to get you in touch with our support team for further investigation. Please submit a support ticket here, so a member of our team can troubleshoot further with you. Once you have a ticket number, let me know here so I can keep an eye on it :wink:

Thanks in advance! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Leandroalpi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello @sanchez,

I'm having the same issue as Cleverbean.

Could you please help me out as well?

Best,

Leandro

HenningMikkels
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@clever bean. And I have the same issues, loads of conflicting copies of my Pages document, and an error messages saying the file has been deleted in another location. I am working on an IPad Pro, and all software is updated. For me it only happens in Pages, not in Words. 

Best regards

Henning

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Leandro (@Leandroalpi) & Henning (@HenningMikkels), I’d happily continue from where you’ve left off with my colleagues & apologies for the slight delay in replying! 

Let’s confirm a couple of things, so as to make sure I’m following-up on the right thing: 

• Are you both getting the An unknown error occurred  error message the OP has mentioned?
  • Have you checked back if there’s anyone else working at the document at the same time? 
  • @Leandroalpi as you’ve mentioned that you’re also experiencing this behavior on an iPad as Cleverbean, can you let me know whether everything has been Up-to-Date- i.e. your OS & you’ve installed the latest Dropbox version? That would be a great starting point.
  • Now, @HenningMikkels, since you may be experiencing a slightly different issue, would you mind letting me know here of the exact steps you’re following, so as to try & re-create the behavior on my end? 
Thanks in advance for your cooperation & I’ll be awaiting your next messages on this discussion, in order to follow-up with you more closely! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?