cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you new to Dropbox? Our Newcomers group is the perfect place to learn the basics, find out more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: No more Dropbox Text Editor for HTML files?

Dropbox on Android suddenly unable to open Text / .MD file

rotello
Helpful | Level 5

I ve a shared folder on my android 11 (kernel 4.4.177) in there ive a text file FILE.txt , which i renamed File.MD (markdown) so i can share with my usual note editor on MAC. it has been working perfectly for months. The first time i opened it, i was asked the default app, i set Dropbox and everything was fine.

then suddently a week or so ago, when i click on the file it just open "my garmin connect"  which is not a text editor. I checked and the setting was "open with dropbox" - i deleted the preferred APP, hoping I would have been asked again ... to no avail.

if i go to default app there are none now

dropbox version on Android is 320.2.10

Can you help me?

Thanks

Manolo

51 Replies 51

Rachel L.
Collaborator | Level 9

Just started my own thread on this, I can't edit HTML files in Dropbox anymore as of the most recent update, only text files. It's not a beta issue, I'm using 320.2.10. Very very disappointed.

Rachel L.
Collaborator | Level 9

Just started my own similar thread on this, I can't edit HTML files in Dropbox anymore as of the most recent update, only text files. It's not a beta issue, I'm using 320.2.10. Dropbox Text Editor seems to function for text files only now. With HTML files it now only offers the options to view in browsers, not edit. There's no way to add any other apps to the "open with" list.

Yes I could edit them on my laptop, but I do most of my work on my tablet when away from my computer. The app removing this option greatly eliminates previous functionality. I really hope this option can be returned in another update. ☹️

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @Rachel L. thanks for flagging this with us. 

May I ask if you've confirmed that this affects all of your HTML files and could you also clarify your device's exact OS version?

A screenshot of the options you're now getting would also help!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Rachel L.
Collaborator | Level 9

I have quite a lot of HTML files. 😕 I just checked a random assortment of old and new ones from various folders and none of them offer the option to open with Dropbox Text Editor anymore.

My device OS is Android 12, but I've edited HTML files already with this OS, it changed with the update to Dropbox. Also I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one experiencing this, I also found these threads:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/View-download-and-export/Dropbox-on-Android-suddenly-unable-to-open-...

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/View-download-and-export/Android-quot-Dropbox-Text-Editor-quot-no-lo...

Note those users mention HTML files seem to open sometimes, but I can't open them at all. They seem to be experiencing the same loss of Dropbox Text Editor as an "Open with" option regarding other file types, however.

It still works for text files, that's pretty much it.

Screenshots should be included. First of trying to open an HTML file, then of trying to open a text file. HTML file offers only browsers now.

Screenshot_20230327_050249_Dropbox.png

Screenshot_20230327_050604_Dropbox.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @andrew222651, thanks for letting us know about this! 

Feel free to check @Graham's response above. Our engineers are aware and looking closely into this. We'll make sure to update the thread, once we have more info on this. 

Thank you for your patience! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

bpimentel
New member | Level 2
On Android, .txt files used to automatically open in Dropbox editor in an editing mode. Now it seems to open the file in a view-only mode and I have to click a button to get into editing mode. I'd like to have the ability back to open directly into editing mode.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional information @Rachel L. - much appreciated.

Could you also confirm the version of the app installed on your device and if you've tried rebooting since you first noticed this?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Rachel L.
Collaborator | Level 9

App version 320.2.10.

Cleared Dropbox cache, rebooted, no change.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @bpimentel, thanks for posting here! 

Your feedback regarding this has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can further improve how Dropbox affects your everyday lifestyle. 

If you need anything else, let me know!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

John314
Explorer | Level 3

I agree that editing and managing .txt files is a core function that makes me a paid subscriber.  This month, opening small text files (512 bytes) is taking over 30 seconds.  Adding "cookies" to my grocery list shouldn't take that long, nor require multiple clicks to get into an editor.  I have now switch to a text editor on my smart phone (with its limitations that outweigh the time wasted by Dropbox).

Need more support?