cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you new to Dropbox? Our Newcomers group is the perfect place to learn the basics, find out more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox on Android suddenly unable to open Text / .MD file

Dropbox on Android suddenly unable to open Text / .MD file

rotello
Helpful | Level 5

I ve a shared folder on my android 11 (kernel 4.4.177) in there ive a text file FILE.txt , which i renamed File.MD (markdown) so i can share with my usual note editor on MAC. it has been working perfectly for months. The first time i opened it, i was asked the default app, i set Dropbox and everything was fine.

then suddently a week or so ago, when i click on the file it just open "my garmin connect"  which is not a text editor. I checked and the setting was "open with dropbox" - i deleted the preferred APP, hoping I would have been asked again ... to no avail.

if i go to default app there are none now

dropbox version on Android is 320.2.10

Can you help me?

Thanks

Manolo

51 Replies 51

Rachel L.
Collaborator | Level 9

It's looking like perhaps the issue is fixed today...? This afternoon direct tapping files automatically opens them in some sort of viewer but the option to open text AND HTML files in Dropbox Text Editor appears when tapping the three dots. I have yet to try editing/saving an HTML file in this manner so I may report back later if there's a problem but it looks good!

Scrappy_Monkey
Helpful | Level 5

Folks,

I have a Pixel 4A running Android13 and Dropbox 322.2.4.  Up until yesterday, touching on a .txt file would open it in the editor directly.  Today, however, the file opens in the viewer, and you must click the three dots at the upper right, then click "Open with..." near the bottom.  This doesn't take you to a list of options of what to open the file with, but opens it directly in the editor.

What needs to be done to go back to the behavior of opening directly in the editor when the file is touched instead of the additional steps (viewer > dots > "Open with...")?

Thanks,
Scrappy

The file open in viewer.  Click the three dots at upper right...The file open in viewer. Click the three dots at upper right...... to get to this menu.  Click "Open with..." near the bottom...... to get to this menu. Click "Open with..." near the bottom...... to finally get to the editor.... to finally get to the editor.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Scrappy_Monkey, thanks for your report. 

Could you try updating the version of the Dropbox mobile app and let us know if this persists? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Scrappy_Monkey
Helpful | Level 5

I've updated to 324.2.2 via the Google Play Store and rebooted.  Behavior is the same.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Scrappy_Monkey, have you perhaps tried the beta version, like Walter suggested here?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Scrappy_Monkey
Helpful | Level 5

@Hannah, I have not tried any beta versions.  The behavior has been with the versions I stated previously in this discussion.

To be honest, I'm really not interested in becoming a beta tester in the off chance the latest beta might fix this issue, because I really don't want to deal with the possibility of other issues cropping up.  I fully understand the purpose and importance of beta testing, so this is not an issue of me not "getting" what it is and the need for users to participate.  Thank you for the suggestion, though!

I'll either just deal with the extra steps until it's fixed in a standard release or I will use other apps/methods to operate with these files.

speedijim
Explorer | Level 4
I am very unhappy about the latest text editor.. I have numerous text files that I edit frequently. The new editor requires me to select edit, the old one opened in edit mode. When I was done it saved and closed the file. Can I get the old editor back?

Rachel L.
Collaborator | Level 9

Guys, the Dropbox Text Editor has AGAIN disappeared as an option to edit text and HTML files. Please, please, PLEASE for the love of God bring it back, I literally use it every day. Version 352.2.2, just updated and messed itself up again today. 😫

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Rachel L., if you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try uninstalling the app, rebooting the device, and re-installing it to see if this helps?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TheRealGandalf
New member | Level 2

For the longest time, Dropbox app opened text files (as in .txt files) just fine, allowing me to edit them -- which was very handy for such things as a shared grocery list between my wife and I. I could delete things as I added them to my cart. Then about 6+ months ago, it defaulted to some internal (?) program to let me read them and I had to go back and force it to "open with " to get to an editor. (Oddly, it wouldn't show me what was opening it, it just did).

Now, as of a couple days ago, an actual editor option is gone altogether. It only offers me two choices: an HTML Text Viewer (not editor, viewer only) or my browser (Brave). I have not added, removed, or disabled any apps on my phone.

Has text become so advanced and complicated that it can no longer be opened and edited by anything? What gives, Dropbox? 

If an "update" (how I loathe them -- more trouble than they are worth) is causing this, how do I revert to an older version?

Any ideas on what's causing this? I prefer not to download yet another app to fix an unnecessary problem in the DB app that shouldn't have been messed up to begin with.

Thanks in advance.

Need more support?