cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message: Cannot open this file. Access denied.

Error message: Cannot open this file. Access denied.

JamieCarr0520
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I cannot open files within one of my folders on my desktop app. I get the error message "There was an error opening this file. Access denied." I am able to open the files in this folder on the web or on my home laptop, but not at my work PC. My boss is also having the same issue. I checked the number of pathways thinking that might be it, but if I go to another folder with the same amount of pathways, I don't have any issues. 

11 Replies 11

JamieCarr0520
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi everyone. It turns out that the file path was way too long. We shortened a bunch of the folder names and that seemed to work! Thanks for all the help.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Thanks for letting us know.  this will help someone in the future if they have the same issue

Happy Dropboxing

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Chris_J Super User
    JamieCarr0520 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?