cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Shared link comes up with folder empty

Folders showing up empty when I send a link to someone

ejnoro
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This has only been happening to me within the past week, but it is really hurting my business. I am always sending a folder with either video files or photos. Generally people are opening the link on their phone with the intention of saving them to their phone.

Basically what is happening is when I send someone the link to the folder, for them it either says that the folder is empty, or it shows the files but when they click on them it says the file type is not supported and so they can't view them or save them. This seems to happen whether they are using the Dropbox app or they open the link using Safari. The same thing also happens if they try to open the link to the folder on desktop.

Also it should be noted that I upload the files via the Dropbox website, and I know they are all synced before I send the link because I check on the app on my phone before I copy the link.

I have double checked and I know I am sending them the correct link and near the link when I copy it it literally says "anyone with this link will have access to these files" but I guess that is not the case for some reason. It also doesn't seem to matter if the person is signed in to their account or not.

Any idea on why this is happening? Need to fix it ASAP

37 Replies 37

theclosetstudios
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

THANK YOU - this worked for me. 

Dropbox, please fix this. I have had the same issue the last few weeks. I send a link to a client, and the folder shows up empty for them. I shouldn't have to deselect this option every single time I create a folder. 

JL Designs
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having the exact same issue with Dropbox as of late. None of my clients can see any files within a folder that I send when they try to view it from their phone. They can only see it if they are on a computer. This is very obviously a bug of some sort. I usually have Photoshop PSD files as well as JPEG files. After using Dropbox for years, this has never been an issue until recently. There are other people who send dropbox folder links via text and I cant see their content on my phone, but it shows up when I'm on a computer.

Hopefully there's a solution for this ASAP because it is affecting my business in a negative way.,

ejnoro
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, I can do that for you.

Here is a link to a folder with .jpg files that, at first, showed up as empty to my clients. But after resetting the share link it became visible.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/e2jhwcg4hvw3no91e3aqy/h?dl=0&rlkey=d8ub946udq98fknkc337um34n

I cannot send you a link to the folders that I am having trouble with because for some reason they no longer have a sharing link and I get an error when trying to create one.

But for reference those folders contained .mp4 files.

ejnoro
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Also, As far as my troubleshooting goes, with the folders I have had issues with:

I have tried resetting the link, sending/receiving via mobile AND desktop, Signed in or not signed in to Dropbox, with the mobile app and with a browser (on mobile) and even tried iPhone vs Android and nothing seemed to change the result in any way.

For me personally (as referenced in my last post) this seems to only happen to me with a folder that contains video files. With photos it usually works but sometimes I have to reset the link 1 or 2 times before it does. 

My temporary solution is that I have to send individual links to each video file.

VK007
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
To all:

I’m sorry that you’re all dealing with the same issue(s) that I’ve had for weeks now! Dropbox still hasn’t done anything to fix this but I noticed they released an update today on the App Store (at least for iPhone, v. 292.2 as of this writing). Perhaps this will fix it!? I appreciate all of your feedback… started thinking I was the only one.

If I go back to using iCloud after this Dropbox, well, you know why.

ejnoro
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you for this! It worked for me!

seasons studio
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

please help!!

when i share link to my friend it shows that the folder is empty!

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @seasons studio, I hope you’re doing well.

Can you check the workaround given by @maara here and let me know if it works for you?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?