cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't preview my Wedding Video HELP PLEASE!

I can't preview my Wedding Video HELP PLEASE!

Lisahelp
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Help!  I took our 26 year old wedding tape and went to Walgreens to get it in electronic format. They sent to me via email to see it on DropBox.  The video was accessible, and I was able to view it at the beginning.  However, I erroneously changed it to a new file name with extension .mrw.  Now, I cannot view the video - DropBox only gives me an option to download and when I try it gives me a message 

This file is too big to preview

The maximum size for .mrw files is 200 MB

I went to version history and that option is grayed out once I click on the file.  I just need to revert my wedding video back to its original state when it was uploaded to drop box.  This is the only file I have on DropBox.  Can someone please please help me get my video back to its original extension (I don't even know what it was - I tried to save to JPG etc. ad drop box says the file is too big to change it now from .mrw)  I am beyond frustrated and scared that I will lose my Wedding video forever.  Who can help me?  Thanks Lisa

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Lisahelp wrote:

However, I erroneously changed it to a new file name with extension .mrw.  Now, I cannot view the video

MRW files are the raw image format for Minolta Digital cameras. Only applications that are capable of opening RAW image files would be able to open a file with that extension.

You usually can't change a file's extension and have the file continue to function normally. The file extension is used by your operating system to determine what application should be used to open a file when you try to access it. Change the extension and your computer will likely try opening the file in the wrong application.

You said you don't know the file's original extension. Have you tried MP4? An MP4 file is one of the most popular containers for video.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Lisahelp wrote:

However, I erroneously changed it to a new file name with extension .mrw.  Now, I cannot view the video

MRW files are the raw image format for Minolta Digital cameras. Only applications that are capable of opening RAW image files would be able to open a file with that extension.

You usually can't change a file's extension and have the file continue to function normally. The file extension is used by your operating system to determine what application should be used to open a file when you try to access it. Change the extension and your computer will likely try opening the file in the wrong application.

You said you don't know the file's original extension. Have you tried MP4? An MP4 file is one of the most popular containers for video.

Lisahelp
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for responding to me!  How would I go about doing that in DB?  The only options it gives me are: Download, Save as (and only options there are 

jpg and PNG) and open (when I click on open it opens to nothing and has no choices not sure why)....can I download it and once saved to my PC can I change it there to MP4? Or do I have to change it in DB first? Any suggestions/direction would be appreciated. Thanks Lisa

Lisahelp
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Rich!! You are a life saver!  I was able to change the extension in DB to MP4 and NOW my video works!  Thanks you so much!  You are a stranger but saved my old wedding video!! A million thanks!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lisahelp New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?