cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I see that An unknown error occurred on a folder that doesn't sync

I see that An unknown error occurred on a folder that doesn't sync

gtmroy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

I am facing a problem. One of the folders is not syncing. Whenever I try to put a file on this folder, or delete the folder or duplicate the folder, always it shows a message: "An unknown error occurred." Even I cannot open the folder.

Can someone please help me in this regard?

Thanks,

Goutam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that you're not experiencing this issue anymore, @gtmroy!

If anything else comes up in the future, we're always just a post away, so don't hesitate to give us a nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely weekend ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @gtmroy, thanks for posting your question on the Dropbox Community. 

I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you, I'll just need a bit more info to make sure I have a better understanding of your concern. For example:

• Is this a shared folder that you were invited to? 
  • Did you already delete the folder by any chance?
  • Have you tried doing any of these actions using another browser?
  • Could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you try to delete, copy, or add a file to it?

Let me know what you find, thanks!

PS. If you have trouble adding an image in your next reply, you can send it as a shared link

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

gtmroy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Lusil,

Many thanks for your reply and sorry for the late reply. The answers to your questions are given below.

1. This is not a shared folder. Only I use it.

2. I did not delete the folder. 

3. I tried to open the folder in the dropbox app as well as my local drive which is fully synced.

4. The screenshots are given below.

Please help. Thanks again.

DB1.jpgDB2.jpgDB3.jpgDB4.jpgDB5.jpgDB6.jpg

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your swift reply and for the screenshots, @gtmroy.

In general, a red icon with an X on your folder means that something is wrong and the desktop app isn’t syncing it. 

Could you send me one more screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you hover over the Dropbox icon that's on your system tray?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

gtmroy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dear @Lusil 

Many thanks for your time. I am attaching two screenshots (as I am not sure which one you asked for) for your kind information.

DB7.jpgDB8.jpg

Thanks again for your support.

Regards,

Goutam

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It seems that the desktop app is still trying to sync, but just to make sure that we cover as much initial troubleshooting as possible, could you follow the steps below in the exact order listed?

• Click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  • Go to the gear in the Notifications panel.
  • Select Preferences...
  • Navigate to the Account tab.
  • Click anywhere in the window under the tab.
  • Hold down the Alt+H keys. 
  • Click on the Fix Hardlinks button. 
  • You may be asked for your computer's login credentials, in which case, enter them.

Wait a bit to see if Dropbox resumes syncing and, if the issue persists, repeat the first six steps, but then select Fix Permissions, instead. 

Let me know how it goes, @gtmroy!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

gtmroy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dear @Lusil 

My problem is solved but in a weird way. Let me explain.

Today (just one hour ago) when I opened my laptop, got several notifications that some of my files and folders (including the folder with a red icon and we are discussing) has been removed/deleted from my dropbox which I did not. I quickly login in the dropbox.com, restored the files and folders and change the password.

Then I check the security options and found no problem. The apps connected to the dropbox are trustworthy (for instance, google). Check the signed-in devices, no problem is there. I am kind of confused about why this is happening. However, I finally checked all the deleted files and folders, everything is working fine. Besides, the folder with a red icon for which you are helping me a lot, this is also working fine. 

I am really confused. However, the good thing is that the problem is solved.

I would like to thank you very much for your kind support. You spend your valuable time for me. I appreciate this and am grateful to you.

Regards,

Goutam

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm glad to hear that you're not experiencing this issue anymore, @gtmroy!

If anything else comes up in the future, we're always just a post away, so don't hesitate to give us a nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely weekend ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    gtmroy Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?