cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: PSD thumbnails are not displaying

PSD thumbnails are not displaying

jpeterka
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox enables me to see my Tiff photos.  However, I cannot see my PSD photos.  There are no thumbnails for the PSD files.

22 Replies 22

jpeterka
Explorer | Level 3

jpeterka_0-1670263656340.png

I had modified an old Kodak Carousel to digitize 35mm slides with the XT-4.  There was no need for a flash because the slide projector's bulb back lit the images.  That is why my psd test files are all 148.6MBs.  I have since purchased a slide scanner to do the job. 

I can see the PSD file previews on my virtual PC drive, but I cannot see them on the Dropbox website or in the iPhone app.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @jpeterka, keep in mind that you can see the thumbnail preview on your computer as normal, most likely because it's the OS that's generating the preview, and not directly Dropbox.

As for the web, can you try a different browser too, just to see if you get the same results there? Also, can you clarify if you can open the .PSD files using the web? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jpeterka
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan,

The website does not open my PSD files. It shows the files have been uploaded to Dropbox, but there are no previews like there is with my Tiff and JPG files.

Relative to trying different browsers, I tried Chrome, Mozilla, Brave, and Edge.  Results were the same...

jpeterka_1-1670355690797.jpegjpeterka_2-1670355703512.jpeg

jpeterka_3-1670355723350.jpeg

jpeterka_4-1670355741774.jpegjpeterka_5-1670355764210.jpegjpeterka_6-1670355777345.jpegjpeterka_7-1670355789252.jpegjpeterka_8-1670355802207.jpeg

jpeterka_0-1670361164715.jpeg

jpeterka
Explorer | Level 3

Today, I deleted all my test files from Dropbox.  I loaded the software on my PC and tried to simply copy a PSD file to the Dropbox folder.  The PSD file displayed find in my PC's Dropbox folder.  However, the PSD does not preview on the Dropbox website or on the iPhone app.  See screenshot.

jpeterka_0-1670442195295.png

jpeterka
Explorer | Level 3

More testing - I found a legacy cake topper photo that was a 39.94MB PSD file and uploaded it to Dropbox.  What do you know, Dropbox previewed the file!  The only conclusion I can make at this time is that Dropbox limits free accounts to lower MB threshold photo previews.  Does anyone know beyond a doubt that Dropbox paid account enable PSD previews for photos up to 50MP and/or 1GB? Also, is it possible to get a personal account greater than 2TB?

Thank you!

jpeterka_0-1670443471156.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey there, @jpeterka

Can I send you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

jpeterka
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, email me at [email removed as per Community Guidelines]

Thank you.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @jpeterka, I just sent you an email. 

Reply back to me as soon as possible, and we'll take it from there. Cheers!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

jpeterka
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Megan and Ben,

My PSD file is 148.57 MB.  I used a Fujifilm X-T4 camera (26MP) to digitize a 35mm slide.  I pulled the photo into Photoshop, changed my settings as you recommended to “Maximize Capability”, saved it, and then uploaded it into Dropbox.  The Dropbox message was “Couldn't preview this file”.  I can download it just fine, so I know that the Dropbox server accepted the upload. 

I found that my RAW camera files (CR3, DNG, NEF, and RAF) and the Tiff’s preview.  However, my PSDs over 100MB do not preview.  PSDs under 50MBs do preview.  If I half my resolution (600 pixels to 300) on my 148.57 MB PSD file, it becomes a 37.1MB file and it previews in Dropbox.  From my reading, Dropbox supports PSD files up to 1GB or 50MP.  I prefer not to half the resolution on all my PSD files that exceed 100MBs.

In addition to the above, I have the following questions…

1) Does Dropbox offer AES 256-bit encryption?

2) Does Dropbox have Two-factor authorization?

3) Does Dropbox include zero-knowledge encryption?

4) Is my data stored at Dropbox subject to 5-eyes, 9-eyes, or 14-eyes (government surveillance alliances established across different countries)?

5) In the chat room today, Vencent stated that Dropbox deletes files that have not been used in a year.  Is that true?  I do not want to use a service that removes my data without my consent.

6) Lastly, what plan enables me to see open tickets or to obtain full functionality?  I see no open tickets with the free version nor were they available while I was trying the Plus version.

My concern about security - today Microsoft sent me an email with an attachment of a Christmas Photo from the 2TBs of data I added to OneDrive.  They claimed their service was secure.  They may have AES 256-bit encryption and two-factor authorization.  However, they obviously do not support zero-knowledge encryption because they were able to randomly pull a Christmas photo from my data and email it to me.  From my perspective, Microsoft breached my trust.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

John Peterka

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @jpeterka, for your encryption questions, this article should help. Two-factor authentication is offered for all plans on Dropbox.

Regarding government surveillance, this article and the links there might help.

If a Dropbox account hasn't been accessed for 12 months, then it would be marked as inactive and then the account and all files within would be permanently deleted. You'd receive an email before this happens, however, in order to login to the account to keep it active.

Lastly, and paid plan will allow you to submit an email to the support team, and view your current tickets from the support page.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?