cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Request: All files available offline by default

Request: All files available offline by default

Tim T.13
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Moving the Mac to the new File Provider is great - very happy this is finally happening and support on the new M1 is much better. Kudos!

Feature request: Really miss the feature to have Dropbox default to making all files downloaded and available for offline open/save. I will always, 100% of the time, want Dropbox to keep all my selected-to-sync files to also be downloaded and available for offline use. 

I know you can right-click to request offline availability, but this creates a bit of an unclear situation as you can't see by looking at a file in Finder whether it is supposed to be offline available or not.  I want this to just be the way Dropbox works.

Since there is the option to do this on a per file / folder basis using right-click, seems likely possible for Dropbox to make this effectively on-by-default for every file, with the user doing the gesture. 

89 Replies 89

gc_
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

it's hard to believe, it seems they want us to give up and allow them to move our files online as they wish

jdag
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Odd that you are having the recurring problem.  I am on the latest version of MacOS, and I did have to "make available offline" 1 other time after some OS or Dropbox upgrade along the way, it has otherwise "stuck" for me and worked perfectly as Dropbox had worked for years.

LivePaola
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello, after thinking I'd fixed it I am having the same issue again. 

My Mac was updated with the latest Monterey version (it is a 2016 machine so it won't go further than Monterey), I had to look for Dropbox and select "Make available offline" again, and a few seconds later the error message storm started again. 
Really disappointed...

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @LivePaola, sorry to hear about this.

Could you send us a screenshot of the error you're getting and make sure to include the desktop app's version and status as shown in your menu bar at the moment?

Also, where's your Dropbox folder located as shown in the app's preferences under the Sync tab?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

LivePaola
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

the Dropbox version is "174.4.5852 - Up to date" and the status is "Everything is up to date" (after I rebooted the Mac, which was required after hundreds of error messages). 

The Dropbox folder location is 

/Users/[myname]/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox.

The OS is MacOS Monterey 12.6.6.

I cannot take a screenshot when the error message storm is going on because the machine seemingly cannot execute any other process, but here is a picture I took with my mobile. 

Error message storm.jpg

Thank you and warm regards!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the screenshot and the additional information @LivePaola - most appreciated.

Can you update to the latest version of the desktop app from this page and let us know if this persists?

Thanks a bunch! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

LivePaola
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello Walter. I just installed the build you pointed me to and yes, the problem unfortunately persists.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to jump in here, @LivePaola, but can you let us know if your Mac device is a relatively new or older device?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

LivePaola
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Hannah and thanks for reaching out! As I mentioned a few posts earlier, it is a 2016 MacBook Pro, running MacOS Monterey 12.6.6. Ventura won't install itself on this model year. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them...

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi from me as well, @LivePaola!

I checked our system and I can see that you’re currently in touch with our support team. I also see that our agent has recently sent you an update on the issue, so please take some time to check it, when you get the chance. 

Cheers.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?