cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Searching Not Working on iPadOS Files app

Searching Not Working on iPadOS Files app

jasontx0426
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

According to this link: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/mobile/ios-files-app

I should be able to search for stuff in the current dropbox folder when accessing it from the iPadOS built-in Files app. But unfortunately this is not working for me. No matter what I search for, the result is always empty, even if there's only one file in the folder. I'm using the latest iPadOS and Dropbox app for ipad. Any idea how I can fix this?

Thanks!

78 Replies 78

jasontx0426
Helpful | Level 6

I wish I could do the same. But I work across different platforms and my collaborators use dropbox so I really hope apple and dropbox could sort it out. It's been a while since any dropbox staff replied to this thread, and my bug report to apple didn't get any response, either. It is becoming so frustrating. 

attomitch
New member | Level 2

This is extremely disappointing. I have the same issue and no luck on properly search for files or file contents. And I also find the constant same useless reply very annoying ...

I am a Dropbox user since the very beginning and I am paying for a few years the Pro option. Not that they will care, but I am definitely switching to another service. This is very sad ...

xtcforever
Helpful | Level 6

I reckon... Dropbox.. please listen to customer feedback.  If you are not going to fix this problem, AT LEAST offer split screen mode so we can work with 2 files side by side (as Files app in iOS can be split screened with Dropbox side by side but can't search natively)

mza1
Helpful | Level 7

I agree split green is also much needed and would boost productivity.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey there everyone, just wanted to follow up with you all here!

We'd like to do some further investigation into this from our side too, so I'd like to ask you all here if you'd like to assist with this.

To do this, we'll need to create a ticket for each of you separately so that we can look into some device specific info alongside your reports here.

If you'd like to, please reach out to our team with the options available to you here (depending on your current plan). If you have any trouble with this then let me know and I can reach out to you directly.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mza1
Helpful | Level 7

Hi Daphne,

Thank you, I'm pleased that someone from Dropbox finally responded to this thread. I already have a ticket on this issue that has been open for months and never resolved. Are you saying I should open another one?

David B.139
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne, 

Over the last 8 months since I purchased my IPad Pro, things are slowly getting better, but there is still a long way to go before my ipad can replace my Macbook. 

I have 1 open ticket (#10010509) and 1 closed ticket (#10272402) which was identified as related to a bug, but hasn't been addressed in newer updates. 

Essentially my problems remain as follows:

1. Cannot search for files in my Dropbox through the Files app. 

2. Folders/Locations within my Dropbox that I have marked as "Favorites" in the Files app do not remain on the favorites. But I am also unable to "unfavorite" and then re-favorite them. This definitely slows down my workflow as I have deep folder structures. 

3. Working in Keynote, Pages and Numbers documents that are located in my Dropbox generates countless conflicted copies when I edit them. It is certainly a work around to download a copy to my Dropbox and work locally, then upload it afterwards, but it is not really a great workflow for me or my colleagues who share the documents. 

Really hope these things can be addressed soon. Patience is waning. 

Thanks

David

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for your updates!

Since you already have a ticket for this issue @mza1, please can you just let me know the ticket number for this so I can locate it in our system?

@David B.139, I noticed that the tickets you mentioned aren't related to the issue that was brought up here regarding the search function.

So that we can keep the info regarding this separate, in case we need to do any follow ups on troubleshooting, can you please create a new ticket?

Once you let me know the ticket ID for the new ticket, I can follow up with you there and pass along all of the info that you've provided here previous to avoid having you repeat yourself.

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mza1
Helpful | Level 7

Hi Daphne,

My ticket number is #10297404

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for that @mza1, I've just passed along your comments from here!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?