cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Selective sync doesn't download files

Selective sync doesn't download files

nickscale
Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I'm using Selective Sync to download certain folders onto my iMac. However when I choose a folder in the Sync preferences, then hit Update, the files are not downloaded. The folders 'appear' but they are marked 'online only'. The files don't download until I manually go in and try to access them.

I have 'Save hard drive space automatically' switched to Off, and the Files added on web default dropdown is set to 'Local'.

I have thousands of files that I need to be able to download for offline access on a project-by-project basis. If I have to also manually go in and select each file each time I need to access that project, it is really inconvenient.

I'm on MacOS Catalina 10.15.6 and Dropbox 104.4.175

Can you help?

7 Replies 7

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @nickscale; welcome to the Dropbox Community and happy Monday!

When using selective sync, and choosing to sync a folder you had previously excluded on the desktop client, you may notice the files appearing with a grey cloud icon beside them which means that the files are ‘online-only’. You can see and interact with these files as normal, but they take up practically no space on your computer.

Through our Smart Sync feature you have greater control and can sync only the folders or files you need by right clicking, choosing Smart Sync and then selecting 'Local'. From there, once we have returned these 'online-only' files/folders through selective sync you can now see the files and folders and then proceed with re-downloading only the content you need and want.

I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have any issues with setting your files or folders to 'Local' again. 

Thanks a bunch, Nick. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

nickscale
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for the info. However I don't have Smart Sync switched on. I don't want to save drive space, I want my files to be accessible to me offline when I've requested them.

Furthermore, the folders I have not selected in Selective Sync are still visible. They are not 'hidden' as the Selective Sync description states. All my folders are visible all the time regardless of my Selective Sync settings.

It used to be that Selective Sync would choose which folders would synchronise with my desktop. Now it neither hides the folders I haven't selected, nor synchronises the folders I have selected.

Is this how it's supposed to be?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hm, that sounds strange indeed, Nick.

Can you select or de-select a folder from your selective sync settings and let me know if the desktop app (within your system tray/menu bar) reports to sync those changes?

If you could also send me a screenshot of how the syncing icons on the folders you mentioned look like, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

abhijeet
New member | Level 2

When you installed the dropbox app there was an option of storing files locally or online. You must have selected online

nickscale
Explorer | Level 3

I just tried syncing my top-level AndroidStudio folder and Dropbox showed the folder and synchronised its contents correctly, and then when I unsynced it, Dropbox removed it and hid the folder correctly.

If I synchronise only a subfolder within one of my non-selected top folders, then Dropbox gives me an Ignored Item Conflict, but it does still synchronise my selection correctly alongside it. Here's a screengrab:

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 11.52.44.png

Here's another screengrab showing all my top-level folders visible, compared to what is selected under Selective Sync.

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 11.47.35.png

nickscale
Explorer | Level 3

One more screengrab... Different machine but similar problem. I've selected five subfolders in my 'Stock Video' folder then updated my selective sync, but folders are still only shown as online only.

Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 13.38.57.png

Are you saying that even after I sync the folder, I also have to go into "context menu > Smart Sync > Local" to actually synchronise the files? Why doesn't Selective Sync do this? As you can see in my settings, the default setting is 'Local'.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi @nickscale, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

When you sync folders from your selective sync settings back to your Dropbox folder locally, the contents come back as online-only. 

You can click on the folder in question though, and Smart Sync it as local, instead of doing it for each file individually. 

You can find more information about this, here

Hope this helps!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?