cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot download shared folder

Cannot download shared folder

Kak L.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I thought dropbox has fixed this problem, but I was wrong. A client shared a folder with me through dropbox. When I click on it, I get a message saying I don't have "enough space to access the folder." [profanity removed per the Community's Guidelines] I just want to download the content. I have no interest in adding it to my dropbox account. Also, why do I need a dropbox account in order to download a folder that was shared to me? I just want to download it. Why is it so hard for dropbox to just allow this? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Kak L. wrote:

I thought dropbox has fixed this problem, but I was wrong.

What you're experiencing isn't a problem; it's by design. You need to have enough space in your account in order to access a shared folder that you're invited to.

I just want to download the content. I have no interest in adding it to my dropbox account. Also, why do I need a dropbox account in order to download a folder that was shared to me?

When you're invited to a shared folder, the intent is for collaboration. You have the ability to upload and edit files in the folder. It's not meant as a simple download. For this type of collaboration, a Dropbox account is needed.

Why is it so hard for dropbox to just allow this? 

They already do. The person sharing with you just needs to send you a shared link, and not invite you to the folder. With a shared link, you can view and download the files linked to, without needed a Dropbox account.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Kak L. wrote:

I thought dropbox has fixed this problem, but I was wrong.

What you're experiencing isn't a problem; it's by design. You need to have enough space in your account in order to access a shared folder that you're invited to.

I just want to download the content. I have no interest in adding it to my dropbox account. Also, why do I need a dropbox account in order to download a folder that was shared to me?

When you're invited to a shared folder, the intent is for collaboration. You have the ability to upload and edit files in the folder. It's not meant as a simple download. For this type of collaboration, a Dropbox account is needed.

Why is it so hard for dropbox to just allow this? 

They already do. The person sharing with you just needs to send you a shared link, and not invite you to the folder. With a shared link, you can view and download the files linked to, without needed a Dropbox account.

projectileobjects
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is why our company got rid of dropbox pro. They continue to make their platform more problematic for end users.  

Being forced to "add" something to your account by design is an awful idea. All we can do is recommend that people do not use dropbox at work.  For anything...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

projectileobjects Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?