cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Zero Byte Files?

Some of my files show up as zero bytes

saguilar2012
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

When I save file, the file will appear in my DropBox, but when I open it the file is completely blank or only kept an older version of the document. I realized some of these "saved" items are being saved as Zero bytes. I am not sure why this is happening. 

82 Replies 82

idontgetoutmuch
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I also have this problem. I have read through the thread. What is the latest suggestion to fix this problem?

idontgetoutmuch
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I've looked at version history and I can see that a file has 900 bytes via the dropbox browser but 0 bytes on my desktop.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @idontgetoutmuch, I hope you’re doing well! 

Can you let me know if you see any syncing icon next to this file on your desktop app, and what that icon is (green checkmark/cloud icon etc)? 

Also, what OS are you using and what’s the current syncing status of your Dropbox app?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

idontgetoutmuch
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

It has a cloud icon. Another file in the same folder has a green check mark. I am on macOS 12.4. The app reports all my files are up to date.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @idontgetoutmuch, thanks for the info! 

If you right click on said file, do you see the option to make available offline by any chance? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

idontgetoutmuch
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Nancy wrote:

Hi @idontgetoutmuch, I hope you’re doing well! 

Can you let me know if you see any syncing icon next to this file on your desktop app, and what that icon is (green checkmark/cloud icon etc)? 

Also, what OS are you using and what’s the current syncing status of your Dropbox app?

I have a green checkmark. I am on macOS 12.4. Dropbox says my files are up to date.

Dropbox on the web says the file is 500 kb - the dropbox app says it's 0 kb.

idontgetoutmuch
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Ok so I have to right click and then select make available offline. I never used to have to do this 😞

idontgetoutmuch
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

So having to click on thousands of files to synchronise them really makes dropbox unusable.

antoniojl
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I've been having this problem for a long time. I figured Dropbox had screwed something up, as lots of very old files were showing as zero bytes; some PSDs, some text files, lots of files (but crucially, not all of them). My theory was that, at some point, Dropbox decided to sync the zero-byte placeholder file back over the actual file. However, I've just searched for a text file in my Dropbox, and the search metadata finds the text, even though the file's content (on the web, and on my Mac), is empty, zero bytes. The file's history only shows it being created, at 2.04kb, but when I restore or download that version, the file is empty. Is there a way to fix this? Where has my data gone?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @antoniojl, have you tried marking those files and folders as available offline, in order for the file to be local on your machine?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?